Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There is a tricky issue with Harmattan - it is left in the middle. ... so either the GTK or the Qt 5 modRana GUI will work on them.

What could be done to get up-to-date modRana on Harmattan ?
But let's be constructive - I can see a few ways of improving this unfortunate situation:
  • porting Qt 5.1+, Python 3 and PyOtherSide to Harmattan so that the Qt 5 GUI can run
  • using my old GTK2/PyGTK port and running the GTK GUI on Harmattan (the needed packages could be hosted in the modRana repository on OpenRepos)
  • someone can take over maintainership of the Qt 4 GUI a improve it (aka the "patches welcome!" option )
I would vote for scond option (using GTK), even I really like(d) that Harmattan Modrana look.
As I do not see it in near future to have QT5 on Harmattan (neither Py3), nor do I see a Harmattan Modrana maintainer, do you?

Anybody else interested in Modrana on Harmattan, please shout out now ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Wouldn't it be better to drop the GTK2 UI for a Qt4/QML implementation that could be used in both Fremantle and Harmattan?

You have Hildon QML Components in Fremantle, and there are even packages for Meego Qt Components that can be used with Harmattan applications.

Obviously, it might be a lot of work and it's totally up to you. Thanks in any case.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
There is a tricky issue with Harmattan - it is left in the middle. It does not have the old stuff Fremantle on the N900 has (GTK2, at least by default) and it does not have the new stuff (Qt 5, Python 3 and PyOtherSide) Sailfish OS has. Most other platform have at least one of them (BB10 has Qt5 & co) or both (Desktop Linux distros have both) so either the GTK or the Qt 5 modRana GUI will work on them.

It has been quite some time ago since I last did any meaningful work on the Qt 4\QtQuick 1.0 GUI as the modRana backend & GTK/Qt 5 GUIs already consume all my modRana development time, and even then the Qt 5 GUI is still not at feature parity with the GTK GUI. As the Qt 4 GUI has a different and incompatible architecture (QtQuick 1.0, MeeGo Qt Components & PySide vs QtQuick 2.0, QtQuick Controls/Silica & PyOtherSide) adding features effectively means a third implementation pass for the benefit for a single platform - it is a shame as it is leaving such a nice and elegant platform in the cold...

What could be done to get up-to-date modRana on Harmattan ?
But let's be constructive - I can see a few ways of improving this unfortunate situation:
  • porting Qt 5.1+, Python 3 and PyOtherSide to Harmattan so that the Qt 5 GUI can run
  • using my old GTK2/PyGTK port and running the GTK GUI on Harmattan (the needed packages could be hosted in the modRana repository on OpenRepos)
  • someone can take over maintainership of the Qt 4 GUI a improve it (aka the "patches welcome!" option )
There is a port of PyOtherSide to harmattan, because at least one of thp's apps uses it iirc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I would vote for scond option (using GTK), even I really like(d) that Harmattan Modrana look.
As I do not see it in near future to have QT5 on Harmattan (neither Py3), nor do I see a Harmattan Modrana maintainer, do you?

Anybody else interested in Modrana on Harmattan, please shout out now ...
me too, same option. Please dristribute the GTK stuff in openrepos. Very good idea and great help for N9 users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Wouldn't it be better to drop the GTK2 UI for a Qt4/QML implementation that could be used in both Fremantle and Harmattan?

You have Hildon QML Components in Fremantle, and there are even packages for Meego Qt Components that can be used with Harmattan applications.

Obviously, it might be a lot of work and it's totally up to you. Thanks in any case.
Well, the GTK2 interface also runs out of the box on many Linux distros thanks to how ubiquitous GTK2/PyGTK, the Qt 4 GUI on the other hand needs Qt Components that not readily available or even maintained/packaged outside of the Maemo/MeeGo proper.

And frankly, I don't really want to do that.

But as always (wait for it!) - patches welcome ! It is very easy to add a new GUI module (let's say based on Hildon QML components) or to improve the Qt 4/QtQuick 1.0 based one - as long as someone is willing to do that.

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
There is a port of PyOtherSide to harmattan, because at least one of thp's apps uses it iirc.
Interesting! Do you have any more information about this ?

Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
me too, same option. Please dristribute the GTK stuff in openrepos. Very good idea and great help for N9 users.
Yeah, it indeed looks like it might be doable - I still have the packages from my GTK2/PyGTK port somewhere & they should also be in the COBS dump on OpenRepos. I'll see what can be done.

BTW, I've released modRana 0.49.3 - it adds a configurable map screen compass rose on Sailfish OS (Qt 5 GUI).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Yeah, it indeed looks like it might be doable - I still have the packages from my GTK2/PyGTK port somewhere & they should also be in the COBS dump on OpenRepos. I'll see what can be done.

BTW, I've released modRana 0.49.3 - it adds a configurable map screen compass rose on Sailfish OS (Qt 5 GUI).
I probably still have my gtk2 build (not pygtk) somewhere. Ping me if you need them.

Btw. I'm for the gtk on harmattan option

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Why not compress the log on the fly? I've just found a way to do it:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/26279056/854477

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I probably still have my gtk2 build (not pygtk) somewhere. Ping me if you need them.
Thanks, will do if my build turns out not to be usable.

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Why not compress the log on the fly? I've just found a way to do it:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/26279056/854477
Interesting, thanks! Logs are usually very compressible, so this could help quite a bit.

I think I'll add it, but most probably not enabled by default - while most common Linux editors can directly work with compressed text files, there might still be some other tools or users of other desktop platforms (Windows ?) where the tools could have issues with opening the gzipped logfiles.

Also, I wonder if there is a slightly bigger chance of file corruption - any idea how often does the gzip file flush or if the output might become unreadable if modRana or the device crashes without cleanly closing the file ?

Still, the log file is already a debugging option, so the people using it should already be knowledgeable enough about it to decide if they want the log files to be compressed or not.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I've been using Modrana more frequently, and it is excellent. I have it running with offline maps, offline routing, and voice navigation (using the en1 embrola voice with espeak.

Thank you, MartinK for this great program.

I have a couple of questions which I didn't see addressed (or which I possibly missed).

Is there a satisfactory offline POI database? Or an address database? Having the POI database at least would be great.

Also, does anybody successfully use the voice navigation via the FM transmitter? It doesn't work for me because if I'm playing something the voice is not loud enough, and if I don't play something then the FM transmitter goes to sleep and doesn't wake up fast enough when directions are spoken.

NOTE: An easy, but inelegant, hack for my second question is to play a silence file via Media Player on a loop. Any other alternatives?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
I've been using Modrana more frequently, and it is excellent. I have it running with offline maps, offline routing, and voice navigation (using the en1 embrola voice with espeak.
What about adding a note on Wiki how to use Mbrola ?

Thank you, MartinK for this great program.
Thanks! I'm glad you like modRana!

I have a couple of questions which I didn't see addressed (or which I possibly missed).

Is there a satisfactory offline POI database? Or an address database? Having the POI database at least would be great.
There various OpenStreetMap POI extracts available from various sources and I wanted to add support for using them for some time already but just did not get to that yet.

It is actually not that different from the current online providers - just find a suitable easily accessible offline POI database source and add a local provider implementation that can run searches over the file.

Also there is of course the built-in POI database you can populate manually.

Also, does anybody successfully use the voice navigation via the FM transmitter? It doesn't work for me because if I'm playing something the voice is not loud enough, and if I don't play something then the FM transmitter goes to sleep and doesn't wake up fast enough when directions are spoken.

NOTE: An easy, but inelegant, hack for my second question is to play a silence file via Media Player on a loop. Any other alternatives?
Is there an API available for the FM transmitter (DBUS, CLI utility, Python accessible library) ? Depending on how long it takes to wake-up I could either force wakeup just before a voice message or make it stay on when turn-by-turn navigation is running.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps