Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That's incorrect. The box at the split of the "Y" contains a microphone.
I was trying the wrong headset, the one supplied with the Nokia 5800. I found a headset in the jewel box of my girlfriend with an extra contact in the 3.5mm plug, and I found a small hole on top of the little box which should presumably be a mike and a break button. See photo. A few years ago Nokia supplied this kind of headsets with their phones.
I tried it out and it worked on both the N810 and 5800. I am still unsure whether this was the headset supplied with the N810.

It is definitely the one I got with my N800

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
I was trying the wrong headset, the one supplied with the Nokia 5800. I found a headset in the jewel box of my girlfriend with an extra contact in the 3.5mm plug, and I found a small hole on top of the little box which should presumably be a mike and a break button. See photo. A few years ago Nokia supplied this kind of headsets with their phones.
I tried it out and it worked on both the N810 and 5800. I am still unsure whether this was the headset supplied with the N810.

That's it. The little "box" there is the mic. Notice the three black rings on the 1/8" plug: two rings for stereo audio and one for mono microphone.

Tim

If you have Easy Debian you can also have a play with he gnome alsa mixer. You can then increase the mic volume. I am not sure how much it helps as I haven't tried listening from the other end of the call.
Also don't forget that on the n810 the mic is under the desk stand directly below the 'm' key. Talking right at the mic helps.
I found the delay to be offputting for users when on slow networks, but in general gizmo has done the job for me when I have needed it.
-J

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
hey guys,

I just tried to pair my BT headphones with my n810 and was able to hear thing but not at a very good qaulity ( with gpodder it sounded like the bluetooth signal was giving out, really scrachy and low no matter how high the volume was ) but once I put the dongle into the tablet it was better but i was concerned that the tablet may not support A2DP ( for making calls utilising the bulit in mic as well as listening to music,) If you guys have any insight on the BT function I'd apriciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
hey guys,

I just tried to pair my BT headphones with my n810 and was able to hear thing but not at a very good qaulity ( with gpodder it sounded like the bluetooth signal was giving out, really scrachy and low no matter how high the volume was ) but once I put the dongle into the tablet it was better but i was concerned that the tablet may not support A2DP ( for making calls utilising the bulit in mic as well as listening to music,) If you guys have any insight on the BT function I'd apriciate your help on this.

Thanks,
By default, Maemo 4 does not support A2DP. You can make it work, although it affects battery life:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=13468

Maemo 5 will support A2Dp out of the box, but won't, of course, run on the current tablets.

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-07-17 at 01:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
well its sad that battery life will drain faster but i'll just be sure to be near a power source (to charge it) when i use VoIP with my BT headset...

Thanks,

I have a variation of this problem; instead of too quiet, the mic is too sensitive, it picks up too much of the background noise and amplifies it quite a bit. This is the same with the included wired headset. I've used gizmo and the built in internet call app to test this as well.

Also, does blues-utils test support A2DP?

I could't find out if the original question "How to increase (internal) microphone volume" was answered... does anybody know if is possible?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ New England / USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
That's it. The little "box" there is the mic. Notice the three black rings on the 1/8" plug: two rings for stereo audio and one for mono microphone.

Tim
I believe that is correct. I acquired a new-in-box N810 and it included the earphones/microphone set shown in the photograph, only in black, not blue.

The four contact 3.5mm plug is typical of the earphone + microphone combination.

Will
The Old Bear