Closed Thread
I was thinking of a way to make things easier to navigate on the N900.

I know that soon we will be able to get all the services, Gtalk, Skype, MSN, all running natively through the conversations screens. However, switching from one conversation to the other will be frustrating!

My solution would be to have a little overlay icon on the screen somewhere, when clicked, this would bring up a task bar just like you have on Windows machines.

You could keep this on the screen so it makes it easy to switch between windows.

This may get complicated ifyou have more than say 5 applications open, but maybe there is a way around this

Or maybe there should just be a Alt+Tab equivalent, so switch between two windows quickly?

What do you guys think? It is worth a Brainstorm?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
the double box icon(app switcher) is also the taskbar

any updated info you receive via the yellow boxes at the top of the screen land in the app switcher, not to mention you can click on the yellow boxes to before they land in the app switcher to head to that info directly

ideally i'd make this a hardware button, but perhaps thats an idea for a maemo6 device

The Following User Says Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please create a proposal (Problem+Solution) at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

And read the following please
How to use Brainstorm
Follow the Brainstorm rules

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
the double box icon(app switcher) is also the taskbar

any updated info you receive via the yellow boxes at the top of the screen land in the app switcher, not to mention you can click on the yellow boxes to before they land in the app switcher to head to that info directly

ideally i'd make this a hardware button, but perhaps thats an idea for a maemo6 device
There is already an app/daemon which makes half-pressing the camera HW key open the dashboard (=app switcher) which works brilliantly.

When the camera lens cover is opened this functionality is disabled and you can use the camera HW key for picture taking as intended. I never launch the camera with camera HW key anyway - I always use the lens cover for that so for me no functionality is lost with this.

Check this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ard+camera+key

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to generationally For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by inzimam View Post
...have a little overlay icon on the screen somewhere, when clicked, this would bring up a task bar just like you have on Windows machines.
I don't want anything to be just like on Windows machines. That's why I use Linux.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I was thinking if we can make a dock for the Maemo 5. Like the Apple Dock sort of Idea and put it as widget at the bottom of the screen so we can do a quick easy access to programs and still have plenty of space on screen

I think this would make our beloved N900 a super mobile tablet make those Iphoney guys jelous

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I was thinking if we can make a dock for the Maemo 5. Like the Apple Dock sort of Idea and put it as widget at the bottom of the screen so we can do a quick easy access to programs and still have plenty of space on screen

I think this would make our beloved N900 a super mobile tablet make those Iphoney guys jelous
Agree. I previously suggested something similar.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35296

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
hahaha I thought I'm the only one who like the idea!! Though I worked with Both MAC and PC oh and Linux sometimes. I would want to have a very similar Dock on Maemo 5, it would make the access to each program faster than clicking the multi-tasking virtual button. Which you have to tab 2 times to get in. With a dock we can just click and run. and ability to force quit from the dock in case of the program have memory leak so we can kill it without having to restart.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by inzimam View Post
Or maybe there should just be a Alt+Tab equivalent, so switch between two windows quickly?
There's at least Control+Backspace to get the list of open windows. Of course that's still one more click than Alt+Tab...

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread