Notices

Thank You for honest and detailed answer. So, we shall now convince Nokia to take N950 from You as soon as possible?

Talking seriously, thought, I'm really starting to worry that "dark scenarios" some talked about - sucking most talented developers to half-meego harmattan via N950 develop program, then killing platform and leaving us all in nowhere - is going to happen. It's not a rant personally against You, its probably against Nokians execs. Sorry, that it happened in your topic.

Ho ever, anyway, thanks for all wonderful work you've done so far with Marble for N900, and I hope you'll not leave us totally Especially, that You're really classical example of perfect developer (no sugar coating here, really), with both coding skill and communication abilities.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
From the Marble development point of view we're heading towards support for different device form factors. Marble Touch on MeeGo should be the first version; if things go well, the desktop and some tablet device (possibly a Galaxy Tab 10.1 running some less java focused linux) are the next targets to make Marble Touch applications for. This kind of roadmap is important to avoid running into a dead end and to keep pace with current computing trends. On an -- even more -- global viewpoint I think many more open source projects should aim for similar. Proprietary software, bogus social networks and cloud computing have too much impact on the majority of mobile devices currently.

Back to the N950: I don't see it that much of a problem for the N900. If the N9 will not be released for purchase, then support for the N950 will drop as well and people like me will continue to work on the N900 until a better phone is available. If the N9 gets released, the number of people working on the N900 will likely decrease significantly, but given that the N9 is there as a successor, that's just the normal progress then.

Back to the N900 we're going to release Marble 1.2.0 soon, the latest and greatest version so far with extra love for the N900. That's not going away in the near future, more the reverse

Btw. if some of you are going to the Desktop Summit in Berlin make sure to have a look at our special Desktop Summit package.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to convert your own cache to a package so it doesn't get removed? If you go to holiday or a summit and cache an entire town.. it's a waste to have Marble throw it away!

And where can I find those offline Berlin placemarks? I cannot wait til august.

------

As for QML porting you mentioned earlier, navit has a quick and dirty proof of concept optional QML interface, so I guess it just works on the N900.

Last edited by Redsandro; 2011-07-26 at 06:01.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
I just pushed Marble 1.2.0 to extras-devel. Note that it includes two voice navigation speakers, but they don't show up in the user interface yet due to a small bug. I'll fix that in the next update (1.2.0-1) in some days. Wouldn't have happened if my N900 would have been repaired by now (Nokia now claims it cannot be repaired and offers me to replace it with a E7/N8 )

Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
Is there a way to convert your own cache to a package so it doesn't get removed? If you go to holiday or a summit and cache an entire town.. it's a waste to have Marble throw it away!
That's possible, but requires debian packaging knowledge. Basically you'd just create a package that has the downloaded tiles.

And where can I find those offline Berlin placemarks? I cannot wait til august.
They're part of the Berlin offline routing map, you can install it conveniently from within Marble (monav configuration dialog).

As for QML porting you mentioned earlier, navit has a quick and dirty proof of concept optional QML interface, so I guess it just works on the N900.
We also need the qt-components (a set of common widgets on top of QML).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the Marble update, and the reply.

One more thing about that debian package, don't I need those tiles in a special folder so they don't get deleted when your (static?) cache size is overflown?

+1 on this. I would really love to have option (if it's not the case now, and i just haven't found it) to disable/enable tile cache deletion. Personally, I would like to never delete any cached tile, until I decide to do so (really!)

Also, huge thanks for update!

// Edit

By the way, rotation to portrait via CSSU forced rotate, seems to work perfectly fine for me, without any glitches so far
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-27 at 13:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Did you ever work out why virtual earth Ordinance Survey map tiles don't render on the n900? I.e. they are all blurry/over zoomed.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany
I get no sound with ogg-support 1.1.1. I reinstalled ogg-support and
extra-decoders.
The files work in the mediaplayer, however they play after a few seconds.

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
They're part of the Berlin offline routing map, you can install it conveniently from within Marble (monav configuration dialog).
I got the package and routing between existing bookmarks or chosen points work, but I cannot search for anything. Not known streetnames, not pizzashops, it only does routing. Do you need a config option for seachability?

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Cannot install: missing package gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-extra
I looked for the package and an 'apt-cache search' found only gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad.
I lost lot of time trying to understand what's going on, the pkg seems to be included in the PR1.3 update, my device is 1.3 up-to-date (already checked). I had not been able to find an installable 'bad-extra' pkg
Clues?

Tags
marble, nokia n900