Notices

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
The quickest way is to open www.openstreetmap.org, go to the location of your house and click on Edit on top of the page. After the login procedure select the building and fill in the house number in the address tab. If there is no building yet, simply create it. If the satellite background images don't show your house yet, you might need some additional help (e.g. a gps track).

Once that is done, hit save. Your changes will be visible approximately
  • usually within some minutes in online search results in Marble
  • a couple of minutes or hours later in the map shown on openstreetmap.org (see also here)
  • approximately 7 days later in Marble (but you can use the download region feature to force a reload of tiles to get changes much earlier)
  • 1-14 days in offline search (assuming you update the monav offline map for that region inside Marble)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Thanks! The building didn't exist yet, but I created it by making a square (4 paths). Will check later if it shows up OK

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
If the 1.3.0 packages work for you, please vote for them so they find their way to extras:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Hello,
first of all thanks for marble on maemo. It looks very good and i like it.
Now my problem, I've still no sound, i tried to reinstall ogg-support, downgraded to 1.0.5, reinstall decoders-support, gstreamer and marble, restartet etc.. I tried marble from dev-extas and testing. I converted the ogg from mono to stero etc.. But I have still no sound. When I click "play sound" i can't hear anything. The oggs play in the mediaplayer on my n900. So what i'm doing wrong?
Thanks for responding,
wbhck

Great to see that Marble is progressing!
Unfortunately there are still some things that prevent me from using it
Some of these things might be lack of knowledge or stupidity from my side. If so, please tell me what I'm doing wrong

Generally, the app is missing configuration possibilities when it comes to map and routing services. I like the idea of OpenStreetMap, but it is missing some important cities where I live (Southeast Norway). Google would be a good addition, but even better would be a possibility for users to add services from the UI.

Routing sometimes zooms out completely (world view) and the route only becomes visible after one of the way-points was touched/moved. Way-points also cannot be removed.

The interface is still kind of sluggish and I cannot move most of the overlay elements. The scale bar can always be moved, but I have trouble moving anything else (speed info, ...).
The zoom buttons are inaccessible in guidance mode (yes, I know about the hardware buttons for this).
The possibility to display POIs is something that I miss a lot.
Voice guidance also does not work for me.

Routing with Monav is difficult because location names are converted to coordinates immediately, which renders making corrections impossible (location has to be re-typed into input field). And locations are not found when first letters are not in capitals.
With Monav there is also a major slow-down and entering locations often results in having secondary characters in a name (e.g. Nor2ay). Is Monav searching locations while they are being typed into the search field?

Puh, I hope that wasn't too much complaining

Originally Posted by wbhck View Post
I've still no sound, i tried to reinstall ogg-support, downgraded to 1.0.5, reinstall decoders-support, gstreamer and marble, restartet etc.. I tried marble from dev-extas and testing. I converted the ogg from mono to stero etc.. But I have still no sound. When I click "play sound" i can't hear anything. The oggs play in the mediaplayer on my n900.
Which routing service are you using? Only Monav (offline routing) delivers instructions that can be used for voice guidance. The online services (OpenRouteService and Yours) only have textual instructions.

Originally Posted by daniel_m View Post
Generally, the app is missing configuration possibilities when it comes to map and routing services. I like the idea of OpenStreetMap, but it is missing some important cities where I live (Southeast Norway).
Start mapping them That's the great thing about OpenStreetMap, you can extend it easily.

Google would be a good addition, but even better would be a possibility for users to add services from the UI.
Technically that's easy. There are ready-to-use Google (and other) map themes at https://gitorious.org/marble-restricted-maps. Please note however, that using them will likely violate the terms of use of the respective provider! That's also the reason why we do not ship them with Marble. Similarly for routing; I wrote a Google routing provider once to make sure that's it's possible technically. The restrictions Google imposes on these services however are not acceptable for Marble. I'm not a lawyer, so don't quote me on the list below, but that's my interpretation of the Google Maps terms of service wrt usage in Marble:
  • Google services must only be used through the Google API. The map themes linked above are not using the API, however
  • If we changed the map themes to use the Google API, another restriction would apply: The Google services must only be used from within a web browser, and Marble is none.
  • Google routing service must not be used for real time navigation or route guidance, including turn-by-turn navigation
  • Google API must not be wrapped. Marble can be used as a library, and having a Google routing backend inside Marble would do exactly that
  • Google Maps tiles must not be cached. Marble does that for all themes by default, and not doing it is pretty stupid.
  • No bulk-download of Google Maps tiles. Marble would have to deactivate the "Download region" feature for Google Maps themes
  • Google content must only be used with Google Maps. Using the google routing service would pin you to one of the Google map themes.

Routing sometimes zooms out completely (world view) and the route only becomes visible after one of the way-points was touched/moved. Way-points also cannot be removed.
Way points can be removed from the routing dialog (the 'clear' button inside the input field). Can you describe what you are doing in more detail when it zooms out completely?

The interface is still kind of sluggish and I cannot move most of the overlay elements. The scale bar can always be moved, but I have trouble moving anything else (speed info, ...).
Unfortunately some of the elements used in the overlays (info boxes) handle too many mouse actions by themselves. Especially for labels that's annoying and the reason why e.g. the speed info can only be moved when grabbing it towards the borders.

Routing with Monav is difficult because location names are converted to coordinates immediately, which renders making corrections impossible (location has to be re-typed into input field).
I deactivated using Monav for reverse geocoding (determining the place name from a location) because it has troubles with concurrent accesses. Hopefully that changes in a later release of Monav. Marble 1.4 (and Marble Touch already in 1.3) will not overwrite your input.

And locations are not found when first letters are not in capitals.
That's true for offline search. A case-independent search would be too slow on mobile devices when using sqlite. Online search services should be able to handle it though.

With Monav there is also a major slow-down and entering locations often results in having secondary characters in a name (e.g. Nor2ay). Is Monav searching locations while they are being typed into the search field?
No, that sounds strange. Does that happen in a reproducible way?

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Which routing service are you using? Only Monav (offline routing) delivers instructions that can be used for voice guidance. The online services (OpenRouteService and Yours) only have textual instructions.
Now I'm using monav, but I've still no sound. When I click "play sound", shouldn't be there a sound? Which version of ogg-support are you using? In debugmode it says Phonon needs QCore-application and something with dbus.

OK, I will try out later!

Btw., is Marble really checking which services are enabled or not? When "Work offline" is enabled, Marble still seems to use online services when possible. And when all services are disabled, routing still works.

Start mapping them That's the great thing about OpenStreetMap, you can extend it easily.
OSM is not just missing some roads here but whole cities!

Service providers .... Technically that's easy .... Please note however, that using them will likely violate the terms of use of the respective provider! ...
Couldn't this be overcome by giving the user the possibility to add service providers themselves? Then it would be the users committing the violation.
As I said, there are a lot of white spots here and unfortunately I don't have the time to fix them.

Way points can be removed from the routing dialog (the 'clear' button inside the input field).
Ah, that works very well Although it would be nice if the way-points could be removed from the map by clicking on them and choosing "remove" from a pop-up or something (especially since they can be added by simply clicking onto the map). But this is not overly important

Can you describe what you are doing in more detail when it zooms out completely?
That seems to have been a mistake from my side, at least partly. When you enter a starting point and a destination and press "search", the starting point will be looked up first but the destination will not until "search" is pressed again. That led to a route with only a starting point and made Marble zoom to world. It would be nice though if Marble could check all locations at once when pressing "search". (Now that I am re-reading my answer, I assume that the search behaviour is intended, but it took some time to figure out that "search" will not search a route but only one location)

Unfortunately some of the elements used in the overlays (info boxes) handle too many mouse actions by themselves. Especially for labels that's annoying and the reason why e.g. the speed info can only be moved when grabbing it towards the borders.
Yes, I tried it and it works well enough to position them. But the positions do not seem to be saved, even when I lock the elements. Next time I start Marble, all elements are back at their default positions?!

Monav .... That's true for offline search. A case-independent search would be too slow on mobile devices when using sqlite. Online search services should be able to handle it though.
The search itself can be case-dependent, but the search argument could be pre-formatted by Marble. Just convert the first alphabetic character to upper case. this would make typing addresses much easier for users, especially for those who don't know that case makes a difference here.

Monav slowdown .... No, that sounds strange. Does that happen in a reproducible way?
No, right now everything works flawlessly ... too bad

Sorry for being a pain in the ***, but I am really missing a good offline navigation software on my N900 and Mappero looks very promising

Couldn't this be overcome by giving the user the possibility to add service providers themselves? Then it would be the users committing the violation.
Would love to have this possibility, yet, I'm afraid that Marble devs could be accused of encouraging violation of other service's terms.

By the way, using - for example - google maps is perfectly possible even now - it's just not "fool-proof" GUI "load" button method, and require some research by interested one. Yet, as stated in Marble website, Marble devs won't give instruction on that.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Would love to have this possibility, yet, I'm afraid that Marble devs could be accused of encouraging violation of other service's terms.
/Estel
Fear is a powerful weapon ...

Anyways, I tried voice guidance again and it works very well for me ... except that it is giving wrong instructions due to missing map data ... OK, I will stop this now!

Tags
marble, nokia n900