Active Topics

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
But there might be exceptions, and surely maemo.org and its Extras process is worth exploring for certain types of commercial developers as well.
Yes, making the application freely available might work for commercial developers if the application is for example tied to some online service with a revenue model of its own, or is an application you seek to sell professional services for.

My company deals with 100% free software, developed with the community out in the open, and we still manage to make profit from it. Why couldn't mobile application developers?

I see maemo.org and Extras as a place to explore these new business models. The Ovi style of publishing apps with a license fee is a thing of the past, just made fashionable because Apple does it

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JosefA View Post
The way I see it, Ovi is for apps with commercial ambitions. If you don't want to make money off your application, then there's Extras. Cost of listing on Extras is €0, a magical number which transcends currency exchange rates and does not change depending on costs of living where you hang your hat.
Just don't make it a ghetto

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
My company deals with 100% free software, developed with the community out in the open, and we still manage to make profit from it. Why couldn't mobile application developers
Because spending considerable amount of time on other platforms they often develop tunnel vision with regard to business models. They see Maemo as yet-another-market-to-conquer and wish to apply the approaches and business logic they are familiar with. The problem is that Maemo is (currently, not so sure about the future) quite far from the other ecosystems (and no, it's not JUST philosophy), so those approaches simply feel out of place and these folks fail to see in what way is Maemo different from any other platform out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JosefA View Post
The way I see it, Ovi is for apps with commercial ambitions. If you don't want to make money off your application, then there's Extras. Cost of listing on Extras is €0, a magical number which transcends currency exchange rates and does not change depending on costs of living where you hang your hat.
This might be a valid view from the Maemo point of view, but Ovi Store is about more than just Maemo. S60 developers, for example, have no 'extras'. Furthermore, there are many free applications (and content?) on Ovi already - I guess from developers who can afford the 50euro fee, or joined when it was free. Did you realise it was free to join for a little while after it was opened?

Tags
bizarro ovi store, development, nokia, ovi store