Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
People who talk like this are exactly like conspiracy theorists trying to convince you that everybody who doesn't believe their stories are just "sheeple", and have no idea about reality, when the fact is that it's them who have clouded perception.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
That's a very valid question. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. My N900 has traveled to the jungles of South America, Italy, Canada, and through the Rockie Mountains (no connectivity) in CO. It was not able to perform up to par. My UMPC Needed to come along.

Few reasons:

1) Lack of social networking capability - to arrange meetings and such I used Facebook (this was before a decent client was released) was not a pleasant experience on the N900. It was too expensive to make phone calls.

2) Lack of RJ45 jack - all the hotels I staid in throughout Italy primarily used RJ45 jacks.

3) Keeping updated with my friends in the states via Facebook - once again not possible.

4) Online banking, it needed to be done and doing it on the N900 over South America's WiFi was horrid.

I could go on.

For a 5 day trip in the states my iPhone servers me pretty well regardless of my WiFi situation. I am able to keep up with all my friends via every social media network there is (even the ones I don't use), keep up with news/current events (where as Maemo had just one AP News), handle my finances, shop around/navigate a foreign city using the many apps (Yelp, AroundMe, Waze, etc.) and Siri.

There's a phrase, "Where's the train?" when you look at someone who is rushing. Well many times I find myself in that situation only the train is not proverbial. I might be late for a meeting in a city I have never been to before, these are things that my N900 has failed on me before.

I would say it would be a replacement for a trip over seas but only with WiFi because data costs would be too expensive.

The things I would want to do, that requires a laptop/UMPC/dexktop would be to Photoshop some photos and review them before posting them on a larger screen before posting them, maybe fine tune videos before I upload them (I am just guessing because I don't have that much experience with video editing on the iPhone), there is no need to sync with iTunes since everything is synced with iCloud so I don't need/want to do that, maybe triple check documents I have written on Word on my PC just to make sure it came out alright since I am new to iWorks. But honestly, I think the most important thing would be to rest my eyes from staring at a 3.5" screen for so long and have that comfort of Windows 7 back with a full keyboard and mouse and my 67 tabs open.

To contrast: I couldn't upload my videos taken on my trips to YouTube or Facebook with my N900 on the go, I needed a computer to do that, I can't even remember posting photos to Facebook or not. I am also a horrible speller so spell check is a MUST for me (cannot live without).
I really can't get why people think they need all those apps. Who has a facebook app on his pc? A youtube uploader? A banking app? Do they even exist?

All those things are done through the browser. And the N900 has got a wide selection of browsers (In fact it has all of the browsers contrasting to the iPhone that has only one*). I understand that sometimes it's nicer to use twitter through an app, but it's far from a need. It's a convenience.

The big point of your post though is not that. You need to use facebook and it's a great convenience to have a great app for it. I can't tell you you are wrong. The iPhone is the best smartphone for your use. I, on the other hand don't use facebook, nor iCloud. I use svn however, and php, and ssh, and I run my personal 'Cloud' with unison. And the fact that I can do all those things easily, 5 minutes after reflash is for me as essential as it is for you to be able to talk to your facebook friends.

I can certainly understand that for an engineer on the field having mobile autocad is just awesome. (I was using an elaborate dwg2pdf conversion scheme to have the same info on the N900). If I was still working on site I would have considered having an iOS or even better a big-screen-Android device only for that.

So stop telling everybody here to abandon ship and go buy an iPhone because it's better. Highlight the merits of the device, debate for certain usages, describe your usage pattern and why it fits with the iPhone and let us tell you why ours fits with the N900 or N9. And because you wouldn't imagine somebody doing something it doesn't mean that somebody doesn't. And here in maemo.org, because of the nature of the N900, you'll find a very high percentage of these people who were filtered here from other platforms.

* All browsers on the iPhone use the safari rendering engine. Rearranging the address bar doesn't make chrome a different browser. Opera mini is not a full browser

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I really can't get why people think they need all those apps. Who has a facebook app on his pc? A youtube uploader? A banking app? Do they even exist?

All those things are done through the browser. And the N900 has got a wide selection of browsers (In fact it has all of the browsers contrasting to the iPhone that has only one*). I understand that sometimes it's nicer to use twitter through an app, but it's far from a need. It's a convenience.

The big point of your post though is not that. You need to use facebook and it's a great convenience to have a great app for it. I can't tell you you are wrong. The iPhone is the best smartphone for your use. I, on the other hand don't use facebook, nor iCloud. I use svn however, and php, and ssh, and I run my personal 'Cloud' with unison. And the fact that I can do all those things easily, 5 minutes after reflash is for me as essential as it is for you to be able to talk to your facebook friends.

I can certainly understand that for an engineer on the field having mobile autocad is just awesome. (I was using an elaborate dwg2pdf conversion scheme to have the same info on the N900). If I was still working on site I would have considered having an iOS or even better a big-screen-Android device only for that.

So stop telling everybody here to abandon ship and go buy an iPhone because it's better. Highlight the merits of the device, debate for certain usages, describe your usage pattern and why it fits with the iPhone and let us tell you why ours fits with the N900 or N9. And because you wouldn't imagine somebody doing something it doesn't mean that somebody doesn't. And here in maemo.org, because of the nature of the N900, you'll find a very high percentage of these people who were filtered here from other platforms.

* All browsers on the iPhone use the safari rendering engine. Rearranging the address bar doesn't make chrome a different browser. Opera mini is not a full browser
How are you still not getting this?

With a PC you have a full 12"- display, at least 1600x900 pixels, you have a real full keyboard, a mouse with 3 (sometimes more) buttons. You also have a lot more processing power. Most PC's are at least quad core 2GHz+ with much more and much faster RAM. When you compare that to the new iPhone 5 with 640 x 1136 4" display, dual core 1.3GHz [ARM] processor, and 1GB of ram. You can't seriously think that it will perform the same way a PC does, and even if it did - the form factor does not lend it's self to the "web browser" format. I don't think anyone will claim it is easier to go on the full Facebook website on any mobile device than to use a properly made client.

There is also Atomic Web Browser for iOS which is neat.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Yemen

I don't think anyone will claim it is easier to go on the full Facebook website on any mobile device than to use a properly made client.

Sorry , but you are wrong at this point ... it's much more easier and faster to use full site facebook than the little apps .. and that's one of the most important thing that I noticed and loved in N900 .. even youtube download apps in iphone , we don't need them all... in N900 , u can see the video in the browser itself ,, and wait until the video finished then simply go to temp folder and copy the video to another place and it's done ... you never ever can compare the poor browser in iphone with full desktop browser in Maemo N900 .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adelalgomai For This Useful Post:
You guys are nuts. These things are just tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
you guys are tools. These things are just nuts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Lol

tencharmanders

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Okay, first off no need for name calling

iFile = MC on iOS
Paros = wireshark on iOS.

I don't know much about WiFi cracking so research metasploit, photorec, and aircrack-ng. (all can be had on iOS)

iPhone default media player > mplayer on a mobile device. The iPhone was made due to the iPod.

I've also been around the Maemo community a VERY long time (I don't belong to any Apple/iPhone/iOS communities) to see the question asked so many times, "Is there anyway to get that on the N900?" That Android WiFi cracking program comes to mind.
lol, ifile is like midnight commander? you must be joking, its barely like filebox but much more bloated
paros? again that is a DESKTOP application that works on mobile phones, you are just proving my point
again, it doesnt matter what is or isnt available on the ios, those are DESKTOP applications, you are just proving the point that desktop applications on mobile phones are better than mobile ones

oh, and last time i checked, aircrack was worthless on ios since you couldnt put your wifi in monitor mode, so you dont have aircrack on ios

and another thing, rj45 adapters work just fine on n900

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-11-14 at 09:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by adelalgomai View Post
can u imagine what will N900 do if nokia improved it with stronger hardwares like cpu, ram , camera ,,,etc with the same maemo operation system ???
Yes, it would virtually last forever and devices like that would end up only to be replaced every 5 years.

Go explain that to the shareholders.

Obsolescence by design by Nokia (but with excellent Nokia build quality.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010

With a PC you have a full 12"- display, at least 1600x900 pixels, you have a real full keyboard, a mouse with 3 (sometimes more) buttons. You also have a lot more processing power. Most PC's are at least quad core 2GHz+ with much more and much faster RAM. When you compare that to the new iPhone 5 with 640 x 1136 4" display, dual core 1.3GHz [ARM] processor, and 1GB of ram. You can't seriously think that it will perform the same way a PC does, and even if it did - the form factor does not lend it's self to the "web browser" format. I don't think anyone will claim it is easier to go on the full Facebook website on any mobile device than to use a properly made client.

You probably didn't read my post. I said I dont get why people think they **need** those apps. Better performance is a convenience, not a need.

And in the end I can visit websites just fine on my original eee, I can't see how a phone suddenly became too slow for displaying websites.

finally macbook air 2011 vs gNote (2011)

1366*768 vs 1280*800
1.6Ghz dual core vs 1.5Gz dual core
2gb ram vs 1gb
none vs array of sensors

Not so far away. What is more powerful? The mac, because it can run desktop apps.
Even a docked Note vs a 2007 laptop the laptop wins. And that's a shame.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd