The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSHAH For This Useful Post:
Word is that maybe it'll be sold on Amazon and that this just pertains to carrier subsidized handsets. Maybe, maybe not. I'll do what I can to get one, even if it's not officially sold in the US.

This isn't about carriers at all.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...k-availability

This is about how Nokia isn't going to distribute this phone to the USA via the official Nokia distribution networks.

Amazon is US based, isn't it? They'll have to buy their phones from Nokia somewhere, and Nokia US isn't stocking up. I don't have a full list of Amazon departments, but in EU, Amazon is also available from .co.uk, .de, .it, and .fr. UK, Germany, Italy, France; all of these countries are also missing from the availability list. Japan and Canada also.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9_lan...-news-2910.php

What's the point of getting it FCC certified if there's no plan of selling it in the states at all?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Written by :Ina Fried (Bold stuff was me..)

Exclusive: Nokia to Exit Symbian, Low-End Phone Businesses in North America
August 9, 2011 at 10:25 am PT
Nokia plans to stop selling both feature phones and Symbian-based smartphones in the United States and Canada as it tries to put all of its muscle behind the company’s huge bet on Windows Phone.

In an interview with AllThingsD, the head of Nokia’s U.S. subsidiary said that the company will also focus exclusively on sales through traditional wireless carriers. In the past, Nokia has sold its smartphones at full price to consumers, after finding carriers unwilling to significantly subsidize or market the products. It has also had a significant, if low margin, business selling low-cost feature phones.

However, Nokia says it needs to put all of its efforts into its Windows Phone products, which are due out later this year.

“When we launch Windows Phones we will essentially be out of the Symbian business, the S40 business, etc., ” Nokia Inc. President Chris Weber said in an interview. “It will be Windows Phone and the accessories around that. The reality is if we are not successful with Windows Phone, it doesn’t matter what we do (elsewhere).”

North America is a priority for Nokia, Weber said, in part because it is a key market for Microsoft and also because Nokia sees it as a key to winning in the smartphone battle globally.

“We’ll develop for North America and make the phones globally available and applicable,” Weber said. “In fact, evidence of that is that the first Windows Phones that will ship are being done by our group in San Diego.”

Nokia plans its biggest-ever marketing push focused on reestablishing its presence in the U.S.

“Without getting into numbers, it is significantly larger than anything we have done in the past and the most we will invest in any market worldwide,” Weber said. “They are putting their money where their mouth is.”

T-Mobile did start selling a Symbian smartphone earlier this year — the Nokia Astound — but it’s launch came after Nokia had already announced its move to Windows Phone and sales have been disappointing, Nokia Weber confirmed.

The moves are part of a series of changes that Nokia has made since Weber assumed the top U.S. post in February. Like Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, Weber came from Microsoft, where he most recently headed enterprise sales.

As part of the shift, Nokia also said it has no current plans to bring its lone Meego-based phone, the Nokia N9, to the U.S., a fact reported earlier Tuesday by Engadget.

The company is moving its sales force to Sunnyvale, and Weber told AllThingsD that the company also aims to consolidate more of its operations in Sunnyvale, shifting away work now done in other facilities in White Plains, N.Y., and Dallas. Those changes are expected to be made by early next year.

Update: (giving credit, where it is due.)

All things D is the site here is the link

http://allthingsd.com/20110809/exclu...ica/?mod=tweet

Last edited by lorul2; 2011-08-09 at 18:32. Reason: giving credit

The Following User Says Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
Should I start making a fortune selling these things on eBay for $2000 once it's for sale here in Finland?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
"Key market"? "priority"? "will also focus exclusively on sales through traditional wireless carriers"? All hail to the US of A market and the stupidities here; like carrier involvement and having to pay the same contract price *regardless of using a subsidized or non-subsidized phone... all hail to the king baby. Bow over, and get ready to let your a55 being defiled...

* not true for T-Mobile, but.. that seems to go out of the window, now that they were assimilated by AT&T.

"I cannot eat as much as i want to throw up" is applicable here...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-09 at 18:20.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
Should I start making a fortune selling these things on eBay for $2000 once it's for sale here in Finland?
Please send me one with a working usb port first...

Last edited by lorul2; 2011-08-09 at 18:45.

"No plans?" The N9 cleared the FCC. Someone was planning to sell it here.

I wonder if Nokia has any plans to sell anything in the US.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajwatt For This Useful Post:
What a bunch of idiots

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, facepalm(tm), galactus, goodbye nokia, just stop, n9 rox