Notices

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Hi,

Nokia have released a beta application, the Internet Tablet Video Converter. I've put up a summary on maemopeople.org:

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...et_video_conve

It's a very promising development, and complements tablet-encode quite nicely, IMHO.

Cheers,

Andrew

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Of course, it's Windows only. Ugh.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Of course, it's Windows only. Ugh.
Yeah a little lame. But still, nice to see.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Thanks Nokia

(Un)fortunately I don't have windows

Waiting for a Linux release

Windows XP?

No thanks.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Meh, for Linux there's tablet-encode and mediaserv. Not GUI-based, but even my wife can handle:

Code:
tablet-encode dvd://1 somefile.avi
Although a very simple Gtk+ app which shows thumbnails of all the DVD titles and allows easy selection to them is somewhere on my todo list.

Technically, cos ITVC is Mozilla-based, I wonder if it's possible to do a Linux port of it at some point.

Last edited by aflegg; 2007-11-20 at 14:56. Reason: s/Windows port/Linux port/

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It just bugs me that Linux is good enough for running on the tablet but when it comes down to giving Linux users something like this, we don't. Just like all the games like WoW which run on Linux clusters, but there's no Linux client.

I said in the OS2008 thread that videos weren't my reason for purchasing the N800...the power of a linux computer in my pocket was! (Although I'm using the hell out of FBreader!)

Even so, does this tool say that Nokia recognizes that the N8X0 tablet is an inferior video playback device?

Well, you can't expect it to play something like a 720x580 xvid.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You can also chalk me up to someone without Windows at home. As of last week (my girlfriend liked my Ubuntu install so much she wiped XP on her own) we're now Microsoft free.

I'd *love* a GUI though. So many open source projects get to the stage of working amazingly well at the CLI and then the work on polishing them off (ie a GUI) seems to stop or go nowhere. I know several hundred command line switches for various apps off the top of my head, but I do poorly when I need a hundred for a single media conversion command.

Flegg: tablet-encode does definately look simple enough though.