Notices

Today I've set up emacs to receive email (with gnus) on my N900. Here' s what I did. It is pretty straightforward.
This thread seems to be the most appropriate to add this info but no problem to create a separate thread if that is preferred.

Source

Code:
Put the following in ~/.profile :

export EMAIL="<EMAIL_ADDRESS>"
export NAME="<FULL NAME>"
export SMTPSERVER="smtp.gmail.com"

For example, if your name is John Smith and your email address is johnsmith@gmail.com:

export EMAIL="johnsmith@gmail.com"
export NAME="John Smith"
export SMTPSERVER="smtp.gmail.com"

Now put the following in your ~/.gnus file:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nnimap "gmail"
	       (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")  ; it could also be imap.googlemail.com if that's your server.
	       (nnimap-server-port "imaps")
	       (nnimap-stream ssl)))

(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      gnus-ignored-newsgroups "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. ]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"]\"[#'()]")

Put the following in your ~/.authinfo file, replacing <USER> with your email address and replacing <PASSWORD> with your password—or your application-specific password:

machine imap.gmail.com login <USER> password <PASSWORD> port imaps
machine smtp.gmail.com login <USER> password <PASSWORD> port 587
You need to change your gmail account / settings to enable IMAP:

You also need to adjust your gmail account to enable accept connecting with "Less secure apps" link

After that you should be able to read Gmail with Emacs on your N900. Just start it with M-x gnus

Additional links that might be useful.

Default gnus only shows unread mail - method to enable showing read mail link

Practical guide to use Gnus with Gmail

I haven' t been able to send email yet, but receiving it works fine. Will update this post once I made it work or have other info that might be helpful.

[edit]

update: sending email is possible with Emacs by first installing gnutls-bin from the repo and after that add below to the .gnus file.

Code:
setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      starttls-extra-arguments nil
      starttls-gnutls-program "/usr/bin/gnutls-cli"
      starttls-extra-arguments nil
      starttls-use-gnutls t
      gnus-ignored-newsgroups "^to\\.\\|^[0-9. ]+\\( \\|$\\)\\|^[\"]\"[#'()]")

(with-eval-after-load 'gnus-group
  (gnus-group-list-all-groups 5))

Last edited by t-b; 2016-09-25 at 19:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/e.../msg00451.html

Emacs 25.1 released today. It has some very nice enhancements, improvements.

@mtvoid hope you are still around, if it is not too much trouble could you please update the current version? thx

@t-b I too had been waiting for the 25.1 final release announcement and now that it is out, I'll look into packaging it for Maemo.

I recently upgraded to a new computer and need to first set up a working Scratchbox environment once again. I'll try to do this in the coming days. Watch out for updates in this space!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mtvoid For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that is great news! Looking forward to give 25.1 a spin on my N900.

The latest Emacs release is now added to the repository! Here's the huge list of changes and new features: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.25.1. Of course, not all the fancy new stuff is compiled in due to the limitations of what's available on the platform, but it seems to be working just fine otherwise.

The package name has changed. To upgrade, you need to install emacs25 (this will also uninstall emacs24). Enjoy!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtvoid For This Useful Post:
Awesome, thanks!

I just installed it. I needed to uninstall the previous package first (some conflicting packages message). No problem to do that manually though.
After installing all settings were still working (.emacs not overwritten) so that was nice

Checked some documents and also gave eww a try - it has some very nice improvements.

I guess no Xwidgets support possible?

Everything seems to be working fine (of course not played with it for a long time). Will test it some more the next few days and report back if there are any problems with it.

Thanks for testing. The conflict resolution should have been handled automatically, but I have only tested it by installing the package manually instead of through the repository.

No Xwidgets, as it requires GTK+ 3, and Maemo has GTK+ 2.

Originally Posted by mtvoid View Post
No Xwidgets, as it requires GTK+ 3, and Maemo has GTK+ 2.
Too bad we are missing some of the more recent libraries, would have been very nice - maybe one day...

Great article here that sums up quite well the huge list of new features in 25(.1)

I've used Emacs 25.1 daily for the last 5 days and it is working flawless.

@mtvoid I've been trying to send mail with gnus and that was only possible by installing gnutls-cli.
The version of gnutls-cli that is currently available in the repo is still working but very old (and definitely not secure).
Would it be possible to compile emacs against the latest version of gnutls http://www.gnutls.org/ so that it is integrated in emacs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
@mtvoid I've been trying to send mail with gnus and that was only possible by installing gnutls-cli.
The version of gnutls-cli that is currently available in the repo is still working but very old (and definitely not secure).
Unfortunately, the version in the repositories is now so old that Emacs is configured to not compile with it.

Would it be possible to compile Emacs against the latest version of gnutls http://www.gnutls.org/ so that it is integrated in emacs?
While I think it should be possible in principle, this would turn out to be a large project, requiring building some new packages to be added to the repository. Can't make any promises right now, but I'll try to see if I can, if this is an important/necessary feature for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtvoid For This Useful Post:

Tags
emacs, fremantle