Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Yes, I know. And in another thread. But it was the first time I'd seen that wiki page... and the link was here so I responded here. Was I wrong?
Valerio (VDVsx) is managing that; I'll try to get him to answer rather than speaking for him. But no, you're not wrong to respond here.

FYI: one of my bugs just recently got solved and it's a good start. On your maemo.org profile, the word Karma now has a link to the wiki page. More like that to come.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Valerio (VDVsx) is managing that; I'll try to get him to answer rather than speaking for him. But no, you're not wrong to respond here.

FYI: one of my bugs just recently got solved and it's a good start. On your maemo.org profile, the word Karma now has a link to the wiki page. More like that to come.
Excellent! Thank you.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Dear Council, do you think you have accomplished your mission?
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
According to your personal goals for Council stated here, what have you accomplished so far, and what will you accomplish before your term is up?
Ok, fine.

Goals for next 6 months - Improve task documentation in sprint process
To quote Texrat, "Feh!"
I was too naive.

- Encourage Community Diablo SSU
This is something I can certainly focus on in the last months of my term.

- Act as peacemaker in forums as new N900 users arrive
Again, naive. But I'm trying, in my small way.

- Encourage integration of maemo.org community (mailing lists, forums, IRC)
Yes. My flame-proof suit still bears the scorch marks

- (personal goal: Fremantle version of Easy Debian in Extras free, plus git tree in garage)
Yes! At least I met my personal goals!

Where to go from here? I guess I need to track down SD69 and Stskeeps and get them to bring me up to speed on the community SSU.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I hope that the Council members ask for a better insight of the next moves, and prepare the community to them. But again, it's likely the Council already did and still does so, and it's me the one that is not aware of all this work.
Honestly, as Texrat said, we've asked. And I think we've had some small successes. You have to remember that we can't force Nokia to become more open, we can only ask and ask and ask.

I would like to think that the wonderful and unprecedented changelog that we received when PR 1.1 was released was due, at least in part, to the Council reminding Quim how very important a changelog is to the community in the days before the release. Quim has really been trying to open things up himself, so perhaps he was going to do it even before we asked, but, yes, we did ask.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Looking at that, am I suposed to assume that karma values not mentioned in the 'proposed improvements' wll be unchanged or that things not mentioned will no longer accrue karma?

Actually, I don't find that any less confusing than the current calculation. So I'll take people's word for it that it's an improvement.
We're not dismissing any of the current karma sources, IIRC the only karma sources that will not be changed are TMO posts/thanks and favorites/buries.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
OK, I have skimmed this post and as a new recruit to the maemo family since I go my N900 I will agree with a lot of points. Much of what I have said, it seems, will have been said before but I though I'd summarise my thoughts in a oner.

Be assured I have found the content here invaluable and am grateful to all concerned. I am just passing on my findings as one who is new to a community this size and range through the development cycle.

I have been a software tester but have dealt only with controlled internal environments. For me the environment here seems a little mishmash.

Once signed up for talk it took a little while to realise I needed an extra signup via garage to post anywhere other than the talk section. After signing up it took 4 hours before the registration was recognised.

As yet I have found no way to list what has moved from devel to testing between dates.

I am still unsure where to go to report bugs and if there is a separate section for OS or built in apps (Calendar has a glaring one) and 3rd party stuff added to the repositories.

Given the complexity of the Brainstorm (I read the requirements for creating one after mistaking it for an open ideas forum and could not work out what the hell was requited to make one), maybe it should be restricted to people who have earned the right so as to free up the time of people maintaining it from moving new posts back to the talk area. I'm perfectly happy not seeing it until I have worked out what's what and where to post etc.

I'd like to see sticky, locked topics I could subscribe to where Counsil members could update users on proposed and actual version updates for PC support from vendors for software such as PC suite, Software Updater and Ovi Suite. Something I could subscibe to without seeing repeated posts from people with the same problems (though this is far less than I have seen i other areas). It would also allow new topics on known problems to reference these topics.

As I say, much of this may already be possible or requested but these are my findings as someone who is not overly dense but has only been wandering around for a couple of weeks on home time and has not found obvious to locate or decipher.

And....
I thought it was because both males and females shared both X and Y chromosomes but that one or the other was dominant letting that one show through during development. In mammals that is invariably in the womb but we share the bulk of our DNA with every other life form and there are many that can change gender depending on environment.
Nemo from Finding Nemo for example may well have come back to find his dad a mum for example. It's true, look up clownfish gender change.

Last edited by Bodestone; 2010-01-26 at 23:53. Reason: slight terminology change

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bodestone For This Useful Post:
Your points are all well-taken Bodestone, and thank you for the contribution. I hope it isn't coming off as dismissive when I say there is progress being made... just not fast enough for most.

The "mish-mash" you see (ie, less strict environment) with testing has to do with the way this community developed. I don't know if we'll ever get as formal as you or others may like, but I think we'll get close enough for our needs. And with your background, you may be able to help drive better practices. See other threads under Community for recent relevant discussion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Bodestone View Post
I am still unsure where to go to report bugs...
Please see Bugzilla.

I'd like to see sticky, locked topics I could subscribe to where Counsil members could update users on proposed and actual version updates for PC support from vendors for software such as PC suite, Software Updater and Ovi Suite.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you here. The community council does communication and coordination work within the community and between the community and Nokia; however, they're neither Nokia employees[1] nor an official support channel for Nokia products. Even were that not the case, non-Maemo Nokia products like PC Suite and Ovi Suite would seem to be well outside the council's area of interest.

[1] Currently. Nokia employees aren't barred from running for the council.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
My question would be: why the council is not driving something, like voting on the Engadget Awards or other community movements? :-)

Somehow I would think, mobilizing would be part of the game.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The council is driving or supporting numerous projects, all very well-publicized here, so I don't get your question. All you have to do is check threads under Community here, and/or the maemo-community mailing list.

As for Engadget Award voting: that's already been tackled by the community, so... solved, right?

Suggestion to other council members: I think we should start prefacing all official business threads here with [Council].

Closed Thread

Tags
council