Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
In what category this would go?
MEGA65 - (MOST PROBABLY) THE BEST COMPUTER
https://mega65.org

I have followed this for some years and it is quite awesome.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
In what category this would go?
MEGA65 - (MOST PROBABLY) THE BEST COMPUTER
https://mega65.org

I have followed this for some years and it is quite awesome.
The category "not a phone" I guess.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Ok....
lets cut the crap here.
folks can get as asinine as they wish concerning what is FOSS and what isn't ...crying that they know better ..
or that they want a more delineated and comprehensive understanding of what FOSS is...and what it isn't....
And then ultimately making the whole debacle turn on its head , stating that EVERYTHING is FOSS to this degree or that...and then finish with a "So what is the point?" statement...
to refute and negate any others personal list of what they wish in their device or not.

Heard said tail-eating arguments before ....many times.

The blunt of it is ...
There is no mobile device that is FOSS ...
And if my logic is not flawed here Android isn't a "device" it is an operating system.
And....
No...Openmoko wasn't any more open or closed than any other OS....using the self same purported tail-eating logic that was applied....by said individual...

As far as "devices" go...
one will not find any completely FOSS devices....ever....
for one real world point...

The telephony aspect has to be closed source ...
Nations and Authorities would NEVER EVER EVER allow mobile devices not to be track-able, traceable.
That ultimately ...is the reason why one will never see a totally FOSS mobile device.

So from the dank little argumentative corner.... enough B.S. ...
Allow folks their definition of how much FOSS or how little a percentage they want in their device...with the full understanding that everyone else knows, it is a subjective and personal choice and desire....as to what their own criteria is.
And critics who wish to baffle gab the whole issue for the sake of just poking at things to stir them up pointlessly and needlessly ...
are not being intelligent or smart...
just transparent in their machinations.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Mega65 phnone has calling abilties so it seems to be a phone.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flynx View Post
@nonsuch is absolutely correct, I was using the term FOSS in a very hand-wavey (and wrong) sort of way. I can respect his pet peeves, as I have mine.

(...)

@wx9 had it right - the phone is a computer and it should act like one. On android you can modify system files, but the phone re-loads the system ROM on reboot so the change isn't persistent. For that you have to re-flash. That's not how a computer works.
Thanks for not getting annoyed with me.
It wasn't my best moment, but I still think I'm essentially right...

I like that last definition, that is surely one thing that is very problematic with Android devices.
Another point - or possibly the same, in less technical terms: despite the OS being largely opensource, Android is made with a very different mindset and specifically designed to resist (benign) hacking and push its users into proprietary services. (good article on the topic)

One more point: While Android is Linux, it is not GNU/Linux. The term GNU did not make it into everyday usage like Linux did, but it's just as important. In other words, what people generally refer to as Linux has always been comprised of those two parts. GNU is not only the license, but also most of the software that runs on top of a Linux kernel and makes it an operating system. IMO and for example, Sailfish OS is GNU/Linux, while Android is not.

So, according to what you write you're really more interested in the operating system than the hardware itself.
Yet your roundup is about devices... this still confuses me.
So you list the hip scene devices and make clear what OS exactly they can run and what not?
I like how the list looks now, no doubt due to some recent edits.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
The telephony aspect has to be closed source ...
Nations and Authorities would NEVER EVER EVER allow mobile devices not to be track-able, traceable.
That ultimately ...is the reason why one will never see a totally FOSS mobile device.
Well, it is not exactly like that.
As far as "being a cellphone" or behaving like one is concerned it is not the authorities or nations or whatever that dictate that a device needs to be trackable and traceable, it is the nature of the cell network.

If a device needs to be able to connect to some provider network, be it of the GSM family (GSM, WCDMA, LT, 5G) or some CDMA-2000 derivative the device needs to register to a cell in the network with a persistent identity to be able to send and receive anything. This is a technical requirement and not a political choice; there also exists an open-source stack for 2G GSM communication and nothing prevents an able hacker to code an implementation for more advanced RANs.
TLDR; You can have open-source baseband implementation if you want to.

On the other hand the network was built this way for a reason, to be able to target billing correctly to the users and segment different services and service levels to paying customers.

If someone codes an open-source 5G baseband it has to operate by same rules as the closed-source implementations, or else the signalling just does not work; the TE needs to register to a cell with known identity or there is no communicetion. Period.

If there would have been a will to create an other kind of network that would enable anonymous and location-unaware communication between TE's, then the network would need to be designed differently. These design choices of the existing networks might well have been partly influenced by government agenda however more likely is that it was implemented the way it is done because that is simple and cost-efficient.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: