Whats the benefit of reflashing the eMMC besides cancelling all the data and restore the n900 to factory default???

I just reflashed the new firmware but i see that most of users reflash eMMC too...

I would like to understand if i should do it too or not...

Thanks

Hi, from what it says on the maemo wiki page (wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware) I just go with this :
Flasing the eMMC resets the MyDocs folder contents to factory settings. N900 users don't need to reflash the eMMC of their device. If you are reading this it's probably because you got a pre-production device e.g. in the Maemo Summit. If you have a sales unit and you have problems with your eMMC you should contact Nokia Care.

I don't flash the eMMC so i keep all my contacts, conversations etc. when reflashing

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
It is better for a clean start on the new firmware.

yes, i read that too on the wiki, but after seeing that almost everyone is flashing eMMC too, i started to think that with PR 1.2 you should flash also the eMMC, maybe because of Qt 4.6.... i dont know...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gianni_mar View Post
yes, i read that too on the wiki, but after seeing that almost everyone is flashing eMMC too, i started to think that with PR 1.2 you should flash also the eMMC, maybe because of Qt 4.6.... i dont know...
No, its not required for any technical features.

But why wipe all your personal information? I'm just saying that it's not something that's necessary unless your eMMC is damaged or faulty. It's always good practice to completely wipe devices but i'm not sure anything staying there would conflict with new firmware

Last edited by scotty_m; 2010-05-26 at 21:41.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
flashing in PR 1.2 using maemo flasher automatically clears your eMMC as well..........though the configuration files of apps will remain

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-05-26 at 21:45.

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
flashing in PR 1.2 using maemo flasher automatically clears your eMMC as well..........though the configuration files of apps will remain
hhmmm, ok, i stop worring than!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The upgrade doesn't flash the entire eMMC, it just removes /opt.

But you shouldn't really need to flash the eMMC unless you want to leave the device in an "out of factory" state. No new features require a flashed eMMC.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
No new features require a flashed eMMC.
What is the reason behind the update then? Not questioning your post, just wondering why there is a new release if basically it doesn't do anything