Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
'allow' them to delete or render inactive software, hardware or peripherals that they deem illegitimate or pirated ... and it's not just their software / hardware / peripherals
Ignoring the media kneejerk reaction to this story, firstly the EULA that prompted it isactually the Windows Services Agreement, not the WIndows 10 EULA. Secondly this isn't new; Xbox Live and Skype have had a pretty similar version for years (as 'Terms of Use'), this is just the consolidated version. And if you've already got a Microsoft Account, then you've already agreed those terms.

You can see for yourself here (something perhaps the media ought to have done), which includes an explicit list of the services it covers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Ignoring the media kneejerk reaction to this story, firstly the EULA that prompted it isactually the Windows Services Agreement, not the WIndows 10 EULA. Secondly this isn't new; Xbox Live and Skype have had a pretty similar version for years (as 'Terms of Use'), this is just the consolidated version. And if you've already got a Microsoft Account, then you've already agreed those terms.

You can see for yourself here (something perhaps the media ought to have done), which includes an explicit list of the services it covers.
Even if so, there's no way I'll use it, or recommend that anyone ever does. The privacy settings are a charade. All the keylogging, voice, webcam and telemetry data still gets sent.

You can block all MS IP ranges on your firewall, but then the OS pretends that it's crippled and comes up with a bunch of phoney error messages.

I don't think there's any way around it, this time, unfortunately.

Also, highly recommend that people on 7 disable or ignore the new updates being sent out (10 data mining type ones). Think they were pushed to 8 a while ago.

If I ever use 10, the only program installed on it will be Steam, and absolutely nothing else. Hopefully Vulkan, Unity on Linux and Valve with their Linux push will gain more traction. The alternative is just to not bother with games at all once everything is DX12 only in Windows space.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-08-22 at 18:15.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
hmmm...
could you post the exact version numbers of those win10-esque updates for win 7?

Actually ...perhaps what we need is a thread specific to win updates to uninstall, disable or avoid updating in the 1st place...
As I can foresee that this is not going to be an isolated incident, but an ongoing and ever-escalating issue.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The alternative is just to not bother with games at all once everything is DX12 only in Windows space.
Agree with all your concerns about W10 "free" backup of your everything functionalities.. but did you check Steam on Linux lately?

It's becoming filled with good games that can easily make one forget the ones your a missing out because they are Windows DirectX only.

I am just waiting a good racer like Project Cars to work on Linux in order to ditch Windows for good.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
hmmm...
could you post the exact version numbers of those win10-esque updates for win 7?

Actually ...perhaps what we need is a thread specific to win updates to uninstall, disable or avoid updating in the 1st place...
As I can foresee that this is not going to be an isolated incident, but an ongoing and ever-escalating issue.
That would indeed be golden information...

I feel concerned about the same thing, we might end up with no new Windows 10 eye candy while still being subjected to the same data mining methods.

You did not "upgrade for free" , that makes you a suspect doesn't it?

The only true advantage of Windows 7 is that it runs my favorite firewall software while Windows 10 does not.

And frankly, with Windows 7 it took already a whole lot of work to finally block off all connections to Akamai, Microsoft, Google and other servers that are not required at all for everything to function just nicely.

It could well be that with Windows 10 MS started to be honest about what was previously considered "not done in the open" especially for paid software...

Exploring the borders of users' acceptance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You can block all MS IP ranges on your firewall, but then the OS pretends that it's crippled and comes up with a bunch of phoney error messages.
If you mean Cortana and Maintenance, those can be set to ignore. I'm blocking MS and the OS works fine. Using NetLimiter to check and so far no protests from the OS. Only OneNote will not sync now. Using Evernote to avoid that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
after following this thread and some other articles I've finally decided, instead of upgrading my win7 I'll try to switch to Linux.

I'll give Ubuntu Gnome a chance and see how it works out. i will need some windows programs, photoshop for example, but i read this works with crossover...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Agree with all your concerns about W10 "free" backup of your everything functionalities.. but did you check Steam on Linux lately?

It's becoming filled with good games that can easily make one forget the ones your a missing out because they are Windows DirectX only.

I am just waiting a good racer like Project Cars to work on Linux in order to ditch Windows for good.
Yes, though I was probably unclear. I was thinking more about abandoning games that weren't available on Linux, after a while. Inevitably DX11 will be EOL'd and decent performance won't be possible without DX12 (W10) or Vulkan. I really do hope that Valve going with Vulkan as the lead platform helps push it over DX12 in the long run.

Don't think Project Cars will ever be on Linux. It's an NVIDIA GameWorks title from the ground up (hence all the controversy). Grid: Autosport is being ported at the moment ... and hopefully Dirt: Rally (also Codemasters) will be ported - it's the best rally game in a very, very long time.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If you mean Cortana and Maintenance, those can be set to ignore. I'm blocking MS and the OS works fine. Using NetLimiter to check and so far no protests from the OS. Only OneNote will not sync now. Using Evernote to avoid that.
There's a lot more than that, unfortunately. Maybe it's not happening on all SKUs and for all regions. But a friend confirmed the reported behaviour on W10 Pro OEM (new license installed from disc) when he blocked the mothership entirely, with internet access active. Besides, if you ever intend to update the OS (even with security vulnerability fixes), you're likely to find that after the reboot it will have a bunch of new outbound traffic destinations and some shiny new data gathering means (even if you thought you'd managed to stop it updating other bits). If you don't want all your data going to straight to MS data farms, you'll be fighting a constant battle. Furthermore, all the keylogging, data and voice recording is vulnerable to exploits (viruses / trojans) that will jack the reams of data stored in the temporary files and send it somewhere even less benign than Redmond. The whole thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
hmmm...

I suggest you head to the MDL forums. As usual there is a lot of information there.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-08-22 at 22:15.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
after following this thread and some other articles I've finally decided, instead of upgrading my win7 I'll try to switch to Linux.

I'll give Ubuntu Gnome a chance and see how it works out. i will need some windows programs, photoshop for example, but i read this works with crossover...
May I suggest using Debian8 instead? The installer is pretty pain free now and it still stays close to the debian roots that are familiar with maemo.

I gave ubuntu a shot for 2 years and still could not get on with it (there were too many minor inconveniences that bugged me, nothing big just annoying).

Anyhoo, they are both freely available, give them a try.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
hm...yea ..
been to mdl forums before...
I've found it to be somewhat scattered when it comes to this kind issue and concise posts contained there.
Other than well known KB 3035583, KB 2952664 and the infamous KB 971033,
I haven't seen much of anything else jumping out at me for win 7.

As far as what Minkin2 mentions...yeah...as things warm up more and more...and as win 7 and 8 are becoming affected as readily as win 10 ...
there will come a time when it will be more practical to have an os such as win 7 unconnected from the web...purely for offline work [as I use and have used xp tablet since it's retirement] probably before it's soon to be announced demise. You can keep using it then...just don't update and don't bother connecting directly to the internet.

Debian 7 was great...
Debian 8 is great...
'buntu is great too...
find the flavours that work well for you
I like siduction, solydx/k, lmde2betsy, antiX.... rr's all
like lxle [dunno what it is about it] ...
like obscure stuff too...some of the discontinued art linux's
or ones like... linpus, sorcerer, lunar, source mage, etc...
find what you enjoy...and that works well with maemo as was mentioned...[preferably with that debian back...antiX , solyd, and many others have it...]

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
aaand it's gone, ka-blammo!, readtheninstall, windows 10