Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Unless there's a real showstopper preventing continued use of Maemo, then I'm not even going to bother upgrading my N900 to Meego, assuming of course we get the chance to do so.

Why go for a brand new v1.0 Meego OS with all the bugs and mising features all over again when by that time you will have a mature and stable Maemo5 OS?

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Good to see some positive posts for a change.

From a User pespective I find Maemo5 itself very effective. Some of the built-in apps do need some work; email, the phone itself and of course SatNav.

Perhaps it's time Nokia opened these up to the Maemo Community to develop now they are concentrating on Meego. We would soon have a totally competent and fully-mature device.

I know Qt was supposed to allow cross-platform development of apps, but there is little incentive for professional developers to adapt apps for N900 now so I think we have to be more self-reliant and resourceful.

For me, the biggest reason to keep my N900 is this community - no manufacturer or ecosystem can offer this level of support and I think that is something Nokia failed to take into account.

Although I love my N900 it'll be a long time before I buy the Next Big Thing from Nokia and I'm sure many others feel the same.

I agree with everything above, I love maemo. It does however make me sad to think that it may not be used on future products.

Also - I don't really blame the flash 10 complainers so much. It certainly appeared like the n900 was going to get flash 10 when I'm sure many of them made their buying decision.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
It's good to see some agreement!

I purchased this for phone for the great hardware, advanced OS and off the shelf tuneability.

I've always made a point of ignoring promises and hype of the future and buy what suits me when I discover it.

The N900 is my first "smart phone" that I thought would fill my present needs and I am very pleased with it. Also the Maemo community is a huge bonus!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The used n900 I just bought for $325 is pretty much like new. My impression is that a lot of users are going to be discouraged by anti-N900 propaganda and are going to sell their N900s for no good reason and without using them very much. This means there should be a good market for barely-used N900s for some time.

as long as n900 gets full qt app support i'll be happy, because then all the symbian apps should be able to be easily ported to n900 and maemo. even that 1 youtube video showed shazam working which is cool. Only thing missing from n900, for me, that i'd really like is the full turn by turn ovi maps.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by jim_0068 View Post
as long as n900 gets full qt app support i'll be happy, because then all the symbian apps should be able to be easily ported to n900 and maemo. even that 1 youtube video showed shazam working which is cool. Only thing missing from n900, for me, that i'd really like is the full turn by turn ovi maps.
That and very standard HTML5 browser with flash 10.1 until every site migrate...

People aren't mostly knocking the phone, just the company and it's misguided steps and or directions. I think Nokia made a poor decision in not supporting N900 for MeeGo, I think MeeGo is a repeat of Maemo ... why bother again doing versions 1.0 ... when you have a solid platform already in a 5th iteration granted the naming has changed over the years. Where is Ovi turn by turn maps, remember the bold statement of all Nokia A-GPS phones becoming Ovi maps turn by turn capable ... the disclaimer should say except Maemo. A company who loves to preach open source, but is tight lipped on information especially non-industry sensitive issues ... like flash 10.1 for N900? Also the Ovi Store blows chunks, for one it recently went live after how many months of the N900 being available, and the website based store is ******ed, add it or integrate it into the app manager or make it a separate app ... what gives with the ******ed website. Even I know that in a mobile setting you need to encapsulate/ consolidate the more repetitive tasks and remove as many barriers ... a website and loading of pages is a lot of barriers, please someone teach these people. I especially hate it when an engineering solution was turned down for marketing sake. I'm sure the Nokia engineers and designers feel the same way I do, but some marketing or accounting jerk said we could make more money this way instead of a customized app for each phone. Well you know what on the high end smartphones we expect you to do it smart not go full ******.

So again it never has been about the phone, crazy good phone. Atleast for me I am more pissed at the company. This phone quite literally has a desktop grade OS, which makes it so unique. I see the trend where all this mobile devices are heading towards computer grade usability. Nokia does things half assed, but Apple does it a decade later and will be hailed as changing the industry ... only difference Apple will put it's balls behind the product no matter how daring or risky the market segment is. So to Nokia leadership, grow a pair and be market leaders again.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I agree that you should base your purchasing decision based on what's available at a time of purchase and to not assume too much of what new fixes, functionalities and extensions that are promised to become available for said device.

BUT, it's not unreasonable for someone who's shopping for a new phone to compare the N900 with other devices in its price range/advertised functionalities: Blackberries, Androids and iPhones AND to learn that ALL of them provides OS upgradeability. Especially with N900's much touted opensource lineage.

To deny this claim sounds... a bit narrow/short sighted apologist talk to me.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I agree that you should base your purchasing decision based on what's available at a time of purchase and to not assume too much of what new fixes, functionalities and extensions that are promised to become available for said device.

BUT, it's not unreasonable for someone who's shopping for a new phone to compare the N900 with other devices in its price range/advertised functionalities: Blackberries, Androids and iPhones AND to learn that ALL of them provides OS upgradeability. Especially with N900's much touted opensource lineage.

To deny this claim sounds... a bit narrow/short sighted apologist talk to me.
I perhaps look at OS upgradeability differently than most, I'm not sure. But I look for the package that serves my present needs and I tune and tweak it and learn to get the most out of it.
By the time I'm looking for a new OS I invariably want new hardware to go with it and of course, the whole process repeats!

I've been doing it this way with PC's since 1981 and it works the best for me.

That said, I do expect support for the device and it's software for the majority of it's lifecycle.