Some interesting figures if your interested!!!!

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/201...ech-bytes.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jigzy For This Useful Post:
BADA > Wp7.

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Jigzy View Post
Some interesting figures if your interested!!!!

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/201...ech-bytes.html
The king of mobile industry....

having a clown taken the throne.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Real sales figures (a la Gartner) as opposed to shipping numbers give a clearer picture of consumer demand IMO.
Interesting that here in Australia, feature/dumb phone sales is what have kept nokia in the top spot in recent quarters, however, they've only achieved the numbers by slashing handset prices in that segment by up to 45%.
It starts to give a clearer picture of how far Nokia is willing to go to retain top spot, when they are willing to sacrifice profitability to do so.

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Real sales figures (a la Gartner) as opposed to shipping numbers give a clearer picture of consumer demand IMO.
Interesting that here in Australia, feature/dumb phone sales is what have kept nokia in the top spot in recent quarters, however, they've only achieved the numbers by slashing handset prices in that segment by up to 45%.
It starts to give a clearer picture of how far Nokia is willing to go to retain top spot, when they are willing to sacrifice profitability to do so.
People like to spotlight and worship companies selling goods at high profit margin, while ditching companies selling goods in high volume but at a relatively lower profit margin.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Let's see how this continues...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Accourding to the article, Nokia isn't going to release their Meega phone to the US....

I do hope that Europe gets some "Meega phones"

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
People like to spotlight and worship companies selling goods at high profit margin, while ditching companies selling goods in high volume but at a relatively lower profit margin.
in the days of N95, even the arrogant Nokia was "selling goods at outrageous profit margins".... looks like it finally bit the dust (for the stupidity it's executives are worth)

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
in the days of N95, even the arrogant Nokia was "selling goods at outrageous profit margins".... looks like it finally bit the dust (for the stupidity it's executives are worth)
I'm not saying selling goods at high profit is evil, I'm just talking about how people perceive it. Let me explain.

The profit margin increase when the economics of scale has been achieved. However, it doesn't mean a company should not sell goods at high profit margin. Talking about high profit margin N95 is nothing compare to Vertu, a spin-off of Nokia. It is considered fair to customers when the profit margin is proportional to real values in goods.

Some companies, however, fix their goods at a high prices regardless of economics of scale they have achieved. The gain in profit at the expense of social lost could be achieve by monopolization, inelasticity in price change, limiting supply, or legal authorities like patents, etc. At any rate, it's customers' right to fight against these kinds of obvious, but legal, exploitation.

However, opposite is true nowaday. People may love a product because the company manufacturing it is the profit-leader. So being a leader in sales volume is being ditched, while a leader in profit margin are being appraised of.

It is like saying "I love you more when you beat me harder." Call me a conservative, but it's just....wrong.

I might have been over-simplifying in my original statement, but to explain is lengthy and boring. I wish you don't mind.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-08-12 at 03:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Let's see how this continues...
*SPOILER ALERT*

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbye nokia