Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
I ordered for the Nokia N810 a while ago and am expecting Delivery sometimes next week but the wait is killing so in preparation i would like to know if yahoo IM protocol can be added to the default chat client. yeah i know pidgin works for it but i would prefer the default chat client since it would have better integration compared to pidgin. please if any one knows how this can be done please put me through.

NB yeah i tried searching but it yielded no result. and it was difficult getting the right search string.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
what your looking for is rtcomm beta...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Abuja, Nigeria
@rtcomm beta i did some research on the rtcomm package and its seems very difficult to install. and even when installed seem to be very limited in features. seems you wont be able to add or remove a contact of view avatar. can you confirm this.

@falcon i tried the jabber thingie through Gajim but even though i choose jabber.minus273.org server i could not get the yahoo transport only icq and msn what gives .. do you know any server that supports yahoo?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
from what i can tell both items work (at least on my msn account). adding contacts has to happen via the tablets contacts app tho.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
I would reccomend pidgin, its easier to install and has a lot of different protocols.
I even use IRC without too much trouble.

i agree with eliagp...
i use pidgin its the best IM client for me... i only wish it will support the webcam of our N810...

but still i got my rtcomm beta installed (just incase )

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
It isn't difficult to add to the default app.

Add the Collabora haze repository from gronmayer.com/it.

Install "telepathy-haze" and "account-plugin-haze".

Then you're done. Add your Yahoo account (or MSN, AIM, etc) as you would any account supported out of the box.

This is really simple and useful and (seemingly) not widely known.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Indeed, following phutterman instructions, install was very easy.
However, once my MSN account set, I don't see any connection icon once "available" nor any presence icon in my MSN contact list.