Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Philadelphia, PA
Thanks to the intelligent answers on here + Google, I've learned a ton about Pulse Audio. I think my immediate short-term solution will be a Zune HD (since it now supports xvid).

The longer-term solution is to wait.

And - to all those whose tags are messed up - the best solution is http://www.mp3tag.de/en/.

I have zero problems with artwork and tags in my N900 media player. Give it a shot, it works great and is free!

Last edited by IWantToMarryTheN900; 2010-02-11 at 15:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to IWantToMarryTheN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
The problem with that: It only shows one label underneath the button, not two like the Media Player's custom widget (*sigh*, Nokia. The clock has its own widget for this and the same with the Media Player and Application Manager. Mauku has its own cloned version. Wouldn't it have been easier to just collaborate efforts and put it in libhildon instead of sticking to closed-source ways? /rant). Easily remedied, though, I assume.
I feel your pain, but because GTK is based on GObject which is written in C, there is no real encapsulation. Go look at my hack for the Advanced Backlight Control. I needed to get at a "Private" widget of the Hildon Volume Bar to simulate a piece of Nokia's Maemo 4 status bar volume control. This all changes with Qt and C++; good for maintenance, bad for hacking. But Qt is all open, right?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I feel your pain, but because GTK is based on GObject which is written in C, there is no real encapsulation. Go look at my hack for the Advanced Backlight Control. I needed to get at a "Private" widget of the Hildon Volume Bar to simulate a piece of Nokia's Maemo 4 status bar volume control. This all changes with Qt and C++; good for maintenance, bad for hacking. But Qt is all open, right?!
Indeed. Can't say that I've done anything hardcore, but IDA Pro (yes, I know, my C is only the very basic; what chance do I have with ASM but I get the gist of what is happening), G-Inspector and Parasite have been most helpful for me (with the latter having a quickly hacked build in -devel).

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
unfortunately there is no standard. If there were an industry standard it would be easy to transfer music and know exactly how it will appear on the device.

ipod/iphone
album artist -> album
title1 - artist1 - albumart
title2 - artist2 - ..

N900
artist / album
title1 - albumart
title2 - ..

I hope you can see the difference and why music tagged for one device will not be sorted by another device as expected. Personally ipod method is better because it involves assigning multiple artists for the same song title which is not available for n900.

In n900, using a software like mp3tag. Use Artist Tag (in place of album artist tag), you can use extended tags for album art but i think you already have that covered so good job on that front.

and thats primarily it. I hope it gets your music organized
Thanks but retagging all my music is not an ideal solution at all. Would be better off spending £250 on an mp3 player than retagging all my music because the N900 does not handle tags properly. Especially since there is the possiblity that my next phone will handle it properly. Or that it would be fixed on the N900. That is very possible because it does handle tags properly on some of my songs. But it is very random. On some it will correctly show song artist on others it will incorrectly just show album artist. Maybe one day I will be able to work out the reason for the random different treatment.

@qwerty12

I just put the EventBox and the Labels in a VBox and it lines up pretty good with Nokia's stuff.

Name:  Screenshot-20100211-140247.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  20.7 KB
Name:  Screenshot-20100211-140944.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  20.2 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
yes the media player is an incomplete wreck. I love maemo and the n900 but the media player is junk. I will revert to my trusted 5800 and wait for the next firmware update.

I was wrong, check it out, when you're playing a video and you expand the metadata, a small window on the right shows the clip. Excellent.

Name:  Screenshot-20100212-215442.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  24.2 KB

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
I've commented on the bug, because that is not what I experience. When I made a 30 second call to the N900, the podcast I was listening to paused. It also advanced 10 seconds, when it should not have done...

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Media Player isn't perfect and has its issues, but it generally fits all my needs. I would REALLY like to see it open sourced so that we can fix it.
Just out of curiousity (I am not a developer...), why would Nokia have the Media player closed source? What exactly would they have to lose but having it open sourced and letting experienced and enthusiasts developers enhance it?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Just out of curiousity (I am not a developer...), why would Nokia have the Media player closed source?
that's the best answer you can get:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed...s_for_packages

daperl and qwerty12 are already exploring the opened media application framework.

Tags
waiting impatiently