Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
How can I convince others about sailfish?

What can it do that others cant?

Why should I/you buy it?

Three questions that need solid answers for a bright future of sail/sale

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-11 at 18:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I can't find any reason to spend 400 euros on it and I don't want anything but a meego based phone. Good luck convincing people with android/iOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to ncik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
A little bit of GNU's freedom you will carry everyday with you is enough for me...

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
According to this thread jolla will not sell enought devices.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Well, I said it before and I'll say it again: people will buy whatever is pretty. They won't care about Android/iOS - those are the minority.

I think the main opportunity with Jolla is hooking up hw manufacturers that don't want to be tied up with Android. Why doesn't Samsung go with Tizen already? Well, simple, their OS is in its infancy, and Samsung doesn't know how to make good anything. They proved this time and time again. Especially software.

Sailfish is too Beta right now, I think Jolla needs a bit more time, and we'll see. Jolla can certainly pitch the social side of things for instance - make it easy (like in the N9) for users to access everything from a central point. Android can't do that. iOS can't do that.

There may be more things I'm forgetting...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
The youtube video (a guy ending up in Events screen unintentionally all the time) from User experience thread and a post by ARJWright got me thinking: can Jolla/Sailfish suffer from the same "this is a new way of doing things and I donīt want to learn it or put the time in learning it" reaction as Windows 8 did?

Some aspects of Sailfish (no more easy buttons, no visual clues for all the gestures at least, no continuity for those who change from Android/WP/iOS) came to my mind afer watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet...&feature=share

Are there parallels and how can we avoid the pitfalls?

To start answering myself:
1) Yes, to a degree. Sailfish is still much, much easier to learn than any OS designed for computers. There are only a quite limited amount of gestures and they should be simple to learn, if the new user just has the patience and will to learn them.
2) Perhaps Jolla should make the tutorial a bit longer and more in-your-face, so that all new users would go through it. The other step is to promote the videos and the guide on their site a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Dave, your questions reminded me of the first time I was opening a bank account, at the times when salaries were paid in cash and having your day-to-day money (as opposed to savings) in the bank was rather rare.

I walked into a bank and shocked the clerk by asking this simple question: "I want to open an account, can you convince me to do it in YOUR bank?"

They would all stutter something about how convenient it was to have a bank account, what I can do with it, but could not get past my, "Yes, I know all that, but the same applies in the bank accross the street. How can you persuade me to open my account HERE?"

They couldn't.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[...]

They couldn't.
so to this day, you keep all your money under your mattress...

but seriously

Jolla got media attention to the point that even a gawd forsaken site in INDIA knows their name (e.g. Dead end or can the smartphones become smarter? Meet the future smartphone today
)
so?
well, it's something of the moment because the public's memory doesn't even reach STM, does it?
thus no way they can bath in it and they will need some serious features
Communicator, maybe?
anyway, unless they get the whole (text needing) interface in Landscapes, it's pretty much wasted time

a couple years ago i used public transport for a few weeks and noticed a lot of school kids / students using devices w/ keyboards to type their messages quicker
thus it might not only interest geeks or stressed managers...
maybe more important right now to get landscape to work properly & get a QWERTY TOH out and let ppl use their preferred Android apps?

Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
The youtube video (a guy ending up in Events screen unintentionally all the time) from User experience thread and a post by ARJWright got me thinking: can Jolla/Sailfish suffer from the same "this is a new way of doing things and I donīt want to learn it or put the time in learning it" reaction as Windows 8 did?
size(Microsoft) > size(Nokia) >> size(Jolla)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
size(Microsoft) > size(Nokia) >> size(Jolla)
Not sure how to interpret that.
1. Jolla is small and cannot afford to experiment like Microsoft or Nokia can?
2. Jolla is small and small UX mishaps can be more easily forgiven?
3. Jolla is small and the UI designing people are closer to the developers and therefore any UX mishaps are inexcusable?
4. Anything else?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: