Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Hi
Can someone post a how-to? I've downloaded some .zip files, but I'm clueless as to what to do next.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Assuming you downloaded files to N800:

- Go to the directory where you downloaded the zip file
- run "unzip <downloaded_file>"
- Now look for file(s) with .prc extension. Under PalmOS, .prc files are executables and .pdb files are data.
- Start gvm. Click "Install". Browse to the directory where you unzipped the downloaded file. Select .prc or .pdb file (whichever one you want to install).

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by khalid View Post
Assuming you downloaded files to N800:

- Go to the directory where you downloaded the zip file
- run "unzip <downloaded_file>"
- Now look for file(s) with .prc extension. Under PalmOS, .prc files are executables and .pdb files are data.
- Start gvm. Click "Install". Browse to the directory where you unzipped the downloaded file. Select .prc or .pdb file (whichever one you want to install).

Hope this helps.
thanks - I downloaded to my mmc card. does this mean I have to use xterm and type what?

No you use Palm VM to install the Palm programs. The last step in the above post. There is a button for install and point to it. You have to install the data files also the same way.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
You can run the unzip part in an xterm, but you could also unzip the file from file manager by clicking on the zip file, in which case you do not need to run anything from xterm.

OK- I am a linux idiot. I''m clicking on the file in file manager and it says that the file type is unrecognized. Thanks for all your help, but I really need detailed instructions that an idiot could follow. Am I missing software??

Honestly, its 10 times easier to just get the download the programs to your PC and unzip them on your PC. Then just put the unzipped file on your Tablet, Click install in VM, find the file and then just double click it.

To the most recent post: You have two options:
Unzip the file on your PC, which would take like 2 seconds.
Or unzip the file using Xterm, which would take awhile to type in and would be very confusing for you.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
For some reason, everyone is neglecting to inform you that you need install the Zip-to Unzip app in order to unzip files from your IT's File Manager:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/zip-unzip/

(Even easier than using your PC, imho.)

-T.

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
For some reason, everyone is neglecting to inform you that you need install the Zip-to Unzip app in order to unzip files from your IT's File Manager:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/zip-unzip/

(Even easier than using your PC, imho.)

-T.
Thanks I think this was the part I was missing. Hopefully it works, as I cant use my PC @ work because the the IT guy has it locked tight. Thanks to you all!

Tags
garnet, palm