Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Do you mean there are way more unstable OC'd N900s than stable ones, or that there is not enough people willing tol pay a little more for a N900 they can trust will run stable OC'd and UV'd ?
I didn't say anything about proportions of stable and unstable N900's.

just do the math. If you don't know how to, then you'll just have to trust me....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

It's not a viable way to make any money. If you wanted to do this as a volunteer, sure, but you won't be able to successfully make money off it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
How much more can you sell the 'special' n900 for?

What kind of discount are you going to sell the unoverclockable secondhand n900 at?

Example:

IF you get 1 special n900 every 4 units.

You are going to give $20 discount so people would buy the secondhand n900 that are CONFIRMED to not be stable if overclocked to your spec.

Then you need to sell the special n900 at more than $60 more.

That doesn't even take into account your operating costs, etc...

Now, if you can get volume discount of the n900, that's a different thing... but at that level, these sort of thing is chump change to you that you wouldn't care.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Unless you can charge a hefty premium, going after a specific niche of an already niche market is hardly ever a good idea.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Depends on what you call a viable and affordable business case - sure, I'd pay a little extra for an overclocked and stable version of any hardware - even more so if it was undervolted rather than overvolted as is more usually the case.

However, the premium won't be substantial and also the returns would not be that great, unless someone has got wind of an outlet that will allow you to bulk buy N900's at a vastly reduced price, and I would wager that with Nokia no longer making them, the only ones you *could* buy in bulk would most likely eminate from mainland China, leading ultimately to COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality) having to be factored into the business case somewhere, because, as we all know, counterfeit goods rarely perform as well as the originals, regardless of the expertise required in reverse engineering them.......

Mines runs 24/7 (and has done for months) at 250 - 1000 with xlv profile - ulv means it can't play *.flv's, but other than that it's great - so much so that this the profile loaded on boot.

Would I pay extra for it? Sure, but not an absolute premium.

Last edited by Switch_; 2011-02-01 at 16:03.

Tags
busyness, do the math, i hate you, just shoot me, overclocking, stay in school, stop posting, stop thinking