Active Topics

As everyone knows, Arduino IDE can not ever run on Maemo due to a dependency on Sun Java.

However I've seen some links (here?) describing how you can host avrdude on Maemo, and compile code for the Arduino.

There's a third item of interest I'll point out:
Using an N800 to "upload" an Arduino sketch which was previously compiled. (So like if you compiled "blink", and copied it onto a SD card, which you could then upload to the Arduino).

Someone's already managed to turn an Arduino in-to an Arduino uploader. (The host Arduino isn't compiling anything, it just acts like a jukebox or selection interface for the target Arduino). Someone did the hard work of figuiring out the bootloader protocol, so it could be adapted to another platform like a Maemo device.

That project is called "Boot Drive": http://baldwisdom.com/bootdrive/

(As an example how it is useful, lets say you had 6 or so interesting Arduino sketches. The Arduino only holds one sketch, but you could use the n800 to upload and alternate between each sketch, no laptop required).

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottInNH For This Useful Post:
I just managed to install Arduino IDE on easydebian... i don't know if it works properlly because i don't really know how to use it yet. But i'll give a try.

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by ScottInNH View Post
As everyone knows, Arduino IDE can not ever run on Maemo due to a dependency on Sun Java..
If it's any help, I had no problem running Java 7 SE on my N900 a few months back.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86561

Much hilarity ensued (well, okay - not really) when SQLDeveloper launched on my noddy wee phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
There is an easy way to use Arduino with n900:

By bluetooth.

I've already written a thread how to construct a digital compass with bluetooth and n900.

It is very easy. It was my first work with arduino and electronics and it worked immediately.

Download the python script "TheScript" to get data from arduino by bluetooth.
With bluetooth you are sure that you dont hurt the electronics of the n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
i have tried installing arduino IDE on easy debian, but when i try to choose the serial port to upload the sketch the options is greyed out and cant select any port. I guess there is no serial port enabled?. i also tried using the host mode enabler. the arduino light does flashes but the serial port does not get enabled.

i am relly stuck at this point i want to enable serial port on my n900 but not through bluetooth. is there anyway to do that?
any help will be greatly appriciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to F1R0Z For This Useful Post:
Hi F1R0Z! your post I was very useful for me to install arduino ide in N900 thnx! so now i will try to help you with upload code..

i did it just 5 min ago.. via bluetooth so after arduino ide i installed bluez in debian chroot (just apt-get install bluetooth..) i paired n900 with the HC-05 module connected with arduino (you can find some tutorial for this ) after that i opened the com port rfcom0

to find the ip adress : hcitool scan

sudo rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

launch arduino ide and you can find the port frcom0

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crisbort For This Useful Post:

Tags
arduino, nokia n900