Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
So we hear how iphone has become the multi-touch leader... And the creator of gestures, kinda like what they did with cut an paste...

What I would like to see happen on Maemo is to have the platform empower me to create my own gestures. Single or multi-touch.

I have an assumption that persons from different cultures interact with "things" differently. Think about creating a catalog of actions that are the result of a given gesture. allow the user to build their own gestures and link them to the action. This would need to be an extension of the od and tied into the SDK/dev envt so that developers code to the abstraction of the gesture / action rather then some sort of hard coded thing.

If any one is interested in exploring the idea I would be happy to. I am not a developer but rather a functional design guy. I have been thinking about it for a few days and would be happy to work with someone about putting the idea to paper along with some basic wireframes.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-11-02 at 20:56. Reason: Brainstorm tag

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
N900 is using resistive tech and that mean multi-touch is unsupported.

The Following User Says Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
So matthewcc, are you going to write up a Brainstorm proposal on this? If you do, please keep the main proposal generic (posed as a problem, need, desire, etc) and then add your suggestion as Solution #1.

If you need help just ask!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
He also mentioned single touch.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
I guess everyone knows that pretty much, so "brainstorming now, for future devices*" is way better approach to this post, I guess

* "Maemo 6 UI concept revealed; capacitive & multitouch support confirmed"
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
So matthewcc, are you going to write up a Brainstorm proposal on this? If you do, please keep the main proposal generic (posed as a problem, need, desire, etc) and then add your suggestion as Solution #1.

If you need help just ask!
I'm looking forward to it... I sent you a mail asking for a step by step on this one... sorry for being a bit of a newbie here. It seems like it follows an agile development methodology (sprints and all).

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
What I would like to see happen on Maemo is to have the platform empower me to create my own gestures. Single or multi-touch.
I agree that we should be able to add new / edit existing gestures freely and easily just within our brand new touchscreen mobile computer

Android has a good unlock pattern implementation, similar to your idea.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
I don't know about you guys, but multitouch on a resistive is possible. It really depends on the type of screen.

Also, at least it's possible on the 5800
http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...e_for_5800.htm

I do hope this is possible with the N900

Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but multitouch on a resistive is possible. It really depends on the type of screen.

Also, at least it's possible on the 5800
http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...e_for_5800.htm

I do hope this is possible with the N900
That's just a work around, not a complete solution; it's exploiting resistive screens' weird but predictable behavior when multi touch is applied and that's why it's only useful for a small bunch of usage scenarios , so it's also possible for N900.

Guys... the key point here is not "support multi-touch" that is understood. The key thing here is how it is implemented. Anyone can do multi-touch, what will differentiate us is how we do it. This probably should have been put out as a process patent anyway! doh!

Tags
consumerism, customization, gestures, multi-touch, os extention