Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've uploaded a new version of easy-chroot with fixes for the stuff you guys have pointed out plus a couple of things I noticed myself.

Look at the author info on my git commit!

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-02 at 05:39.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
wow, 13 pages of epic-reading, brain hurts XD

After reading everything it was never really mentioned if the latest version produces sound properly, and i'd love to now what the actual latest versions are, so i know if i've got the latest versions (i've got, easy-chroot v0.2.3-1 and easy-deb-chroot v0.9.35-3)

One last thing, would it be possible to mirror the massive 1.5GB file, i just spent 2 hours cruising various forums, and it still has 1 hour to go at its solid 20kb/s!! i just want my apps!

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kolkata, India
fabulous thread...and a fabulous alternative you got there...i dont mind the phone part been handled by hildon with everything else being on easy deb..is there any way one can run their custon builds of debian/fedora on this thing...can you help with that..

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sound on the N900 doesn't work yet. Any pulseaudio / alsa help would be appreciated.

Jaem has offered to mirror the image files on a faster server; I haven't taken him up on the offer.

You can use Easy Debian to chroot into any ARM version of a Linux distro, such as Fedora, Ubuntu, or Debian. I have tried all three of those. I always come back to Debian, however, for one reason or another.

The latest versions are the ones in Extras-devel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
so how do i go about doing it...need the img of file of an installed arm installation in qemu ?

The best thing would be to partition a microSD card and put the rootfs of whatever arm linux distro you want to try into the second partition (leave a small FAT partiton as the 1st partition).

Then point the IMGFILE line of the .chroot file to your rootfs.

If that didn't make sense, you may be in over your head.

But don't let that stop you! Take up the challenge and figure it out!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The best thing would be to partition a microSD card and put the rootfs of whatever arm linux distro you want to try into the second partition (leave a small FAT partiton as the 1st partition).

Then point the IMGFILE line of the .chroot file to your rootfs.

If that didn't make sense, you may be in over your head.

But don't let that stop you! Take up the challenge and figure it out!
no that made perfect sense..what i dont get is how to derive the rootfs...does it have to be an installed copy on qemu or like some live cd stuff..?

If you want custom Debian, you can start with my minimal rootfs from qole.org/files

As for Fedora, you can grab the prebuilt rootfs from their webpage.

also u mind telling me where the .chroot file is to change the settings...also while playing around with the lxde environment...i could not access root as password was sayin is invalid..so what is the default password for your build of easy-debian

.chroot is in the home directory. Use sudo to do root tasks or set a new password using passwd.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze