Active Topics

Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
my suspcion is that it's to do with certain three-letter-agencies
You're exactly right. NSA/CIA arbitration is nasty, and Jolla would never put their limited weight behind it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by thetao View Post
But to other USA users, does the current state of the OS leave anything out geographically or linguistically? Is there a USA keyboard? Is text completion in British English? Are there any problems with maps or with the weather, err, widget? I assume that acquiring OS updates doesn't need a VPN?
I use it as my only phone, and I manage about a week of battery on it in good coverage areas. The English keyboard works great, symbols and input are as expected. Text prediction works as expected, I haven't had any issues with it trying to use British predictions instead of American. Maps are just fine (especially if you still use the old maps rpm from the Jolla 1), GPS lock is near-instant, weather updates accordingly. Only major cities listed for timezones, but shouldn't matter as long as you know your GMT offset. OS updates don't need a VPN - though they do seem to be ratelimited or throttled when using a US connection. I often fire up a Finland VPN before pulling updates because it just goes so much faster. Let me know if there are any other use cases you're concerned with, and I'll be glad to check them out and report back.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I guess the keyboard question was dumb. Must have been thinking of physical keyboards that choose between the US dollar, pound, euro, etc. Thanks for the VPN tip. It's an odd arrangement, but when downloading hundreds of MB's every little bit helps.

I have a few other questions, but not related to locale, so will consider starting another thread.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have not tried Maps since it's pants anyway
I'm a long time Anglophile, so no need to translate.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2019 @ Midwest
Does anyone have more recent experience with flashing sailfish to a sony? I want to do so, probably with a Xperia xa2. Has anyone built one with the X beta version. Are there instructions as straightforward as they claim? I am looking for any help or advice on how to get a clean build. Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ertily For This Useful Post:
I noticed a few people in this thread are in the Chicago area. I am also near Chicago, Northwest burbs. And I am looking for help or getting together with someone to flash Sailfish on to my Moto Z Play.
I know nothing about flashing firmware on to a phone, but in the past I have installed custom Linux firmware on to Linksys wireless routers.
If interested for a possible meetup please private message me.
Thank you and I am sorry for going off topic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ertily View Post
Does anyone have more recent experience with flashing sailfish to a sony? I want to do so, probably with a Xperia xa2. Has anyone built one with the X beta version. Are there instructions as straightforward as they claim? I am looking for any help or advice on how to get a clean build. Thanks
Would like to know this as well! I thought about buying a Xperia X on eBay, but I heard that you have to pay Jolla for the Sailfish OS. I do not know if that is true or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to justvicious For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by justvicious View Post
Would like to know this as well! I thought about buying a Xperia X on eBay, but I heard that you have to pay Jolla for the Sailfish OS. I do not know if that is true or not.
You only need to pay Jolla if you want the official version, the main benefits of which are the android compatibility, the predictive text input, and (I think) some MS exchange stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: