Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Today, Nokia introduced the Maemo 5 Alpha SDK including the new UI framework and APIs for application development. The redesigned Maemo UI provides a simple and beautiful experience with a finger based full screen context. Developers can now use hardware-accelerated 3D graphics at WVGA resolution. We recommend that developers writing applications for Maemo 5 follow the UI style introduced with this Alpha SDK to provide a user experience consistent with the core applications.

More:

http://maemo.org/news/announcements/..._sdk_released/
http://maemo.org/development/sdks/maemo5_alpha_sdk/

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Looks good. I know what I'll doing tonight

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i hope someone provides a VM file for this, as the UI needs a closer inspection, but the manual install of the SDK is close to a nightmare imo...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Beijing, China
Yeah, this is what I'm longing for. Thank you Nokia Maemo guys.

cool! whan can we upgrade?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, ok, I'll let March 2 slip in under the wire as "around February"...

Well done, Maemo team!

This is great. One of my big complaints is how hildon-desktop is a big monolithic lump. I'm so glad the desktop is getting some separation:

In Diablo, the single hildon-desktop process implemented the Home for desktop applets, Statusbar for the status applets on top of the screen, Task Navigator for launching and switching between applications, Dbus service for notifications and compositing functionality for transparency in applets.

Programming errors in these different types of applets often caused hildon-desktop process to crash and restart. After a restart following such a crash, hildon-desktop would only load a 'safe' set of applets, excluding applets that were not part of the sales package.

In Fremantle, the widgets (formerly known as applets) are removed from the process implementing window management, application switching, application launching and drawing of the Home. This separation will allow for better reliability in aforementioned functions...
I also think the new UI sounds a bit like the one described in the Unwired View Nokia Sparrow post.

...a novel, transparent widget based interface. Each running application gets it’s own semi-transparent widget to put it’s content in. Multiple applications can be stored in memory “for months”. E.g. when you are writing a document or e-mail, just swipe the finger through the screen and semi-transparent panels with active or pre-set applications and their content pop-up. Select one and you can start working with it at once.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
well so far the screenshots looks like canola gone desktop...

thats why i would like to check it out first hand...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
well so far the screenshots looks like canola gone desktop...

thats why i would like to check it out first hand...

That screenshot I believe is Maemopad, the provided sample application.

Edit: H'mmm, maybe not!

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-03-02 at 19:53.

a different option is that someone captures the basics on video and ups it to youtube or similar.

that is, starting, opening programs and so on...

that is, if what we are seeing images of are even close to the final gui for maemo5...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
mine would be a long slow video (maybe timelapse)
i'm getting 5seconds/frame
/me kicks tabletpc and ubuntu and lack of linuxfoo

Tags
fremantle