Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Software doesn't really seem to be their thing, and indeed by the looks of it they aren't trying to go for an integrated product type of smartphone at all.

Realistically this is probably ok, if mainline hardware support is great then I would expect to see all kinds of builds for it including Sailfish and Ubuntu Touch if that is the kind of experience you want.
To my rather under-educated eye, what I read is: no OS will be optimized for this endeavor.

I get that software isn't their thing; however you'd hope that somebody would reverse this current state of bloated software and allow for middle tier (or lower) boards to shine. We already see what happens with Android - throw 8 cores at it and it still will lag.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
To my rather under-educated eye, what I read is: no OS will be optimized for this endeavor.

I get that software isn't their thing; however you'd hope that somebody would reverse this current state of bloated software and allow for middle tier (or lower) boards to shine. We already see what happens with Android - throw 8 cores at it and it still will lag.
I imagine they will try their best to make PureOS work well on it, but from what I gather they do this the other way around; They pick hardware that works well with available software, rather than try and make the software suit the hardware.

Btw the lag on android isn't really a bloat issue as such, just the way it seems to be built is the main thread for any process is also the UI thread, and so if you block it for even a short while you'll get UI lag.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Android's main issue is the usage of Java.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Android's main issue is the usage of Java.
And a forked kernel.

And binary driver blobs (strictly speaking not Android's fault, but this is how it is now).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
And a forked kernel.

And binary driver blobs (strictly speaking not Android's fault, but this is how it is now).
Guys guys, I don't think we really need to enumerate all the failings on Android here :P

However this Purism thing turns out it's going to be a very different type of thing to an Android phone

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
However this Purism thing turns out it's going to be a very different type of thing to an Android phone
yeah..... Open sourced OS on a crappy HW with few apps that drags arround since first mobile linux OS and 7 developers that just switching from one dead platform to another in hope that the next one will turn into something that will be accepted outside of their "63 geeks" circle.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Currently 2037 geeks.

and some news
https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-over-...means-for-you/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
yeah..... Open sourced OS on a crappy HW with few apps that drags arround since first mobile linux OS and 7 developers that just switching from one dead platform to another in hope that the next one will turn into something that will be accepted outside of their "63 geeks" circle.
The mass market is already owned by gigantic players with large sums of money to burn and a huge head start, so instead you find a niche and stick to it.

I don't think purism have any intention of breaking out of the foss geek circle, and I don't think they need to. It's the same situation with their laptops really, they're more expensive and worse performing than the big players but enough people buy them to sustain the company.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why do you think it is bloated? What exactly is bloated?

AFAIK their OS runs Gnome 3 by default. Is it bloated? I don't know, depends on who you ask, but I've seen it running fine on much weaker hardware. And if you don't like Gnome, you can install something that you consider not bloated.

(IIRC both Gnome and KDE announced that they want to work on the Purism 5, but I think you can install Xfce/Lxde/whatever else too if you want to.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Android's main issue is Google.
Fixed it for you.

That's the reason *I* don't go anywhere near Android... not the perfs (or lack thereof).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post: