Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I was wondering. Where does purism get its dialer, messaging and email apps from? Are they based on software currently in Debian repositories, home grown or someplace else?
I don't know. There was phoneui-apps [1] in Debian until it got deleted along with some other packages due to the whole bunch being in terrible shape.
I'd guess that Purism will either develop their own tools or rely on their partnership with Gnome and KDE.

Maybe I should have clarified, that I assumed, that endsormeans referred to the x86 desktop version of PureOS where such tools would not be needed.
At least that's what I referred to in my last post, since I tested it in a VM some time ago.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/phoneui-apps

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I was wondering. Where does purism get its dialer, messaging and email apps from? Are they based on software currently in Debian repositories, home grown or someplace else?
At the moment they don't have a mobile distro, it's just for laptops. They are working with Plasma Mobile and the Gnome team to develop the new mobile UI stuff.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Ok. Thanks. I guess it is premature to think that a sdk exists at this point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Announcing the Librem Phone Ringtone Contest winners.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Yeah, and not only that - what about the telephony/mobile data stack ? If you check the Mer activity log you can see an awful lot of churn in that on an ongoing basis. A lot of it seems to be pretty low level & rather complicated stuff requiring domain experts.

This is frankly worrying me quite a bit as I have not seen this mentioned anywhere & it doesnt seem look like something where community can easily help due to the pretty specific knowledge & hardware required.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yeah, and not only that - what about the telephony/mobile data stack ? If you check the Mer activity log you can see an awful lot of churn in that on an ongoing basis. A lot of it seems to be pretty low level & rather complicated stuff requiring domain experts.

This is frankly worrying me quite a bit as I have not seen this mentioned anywhere & it doesnt seem look like something where community can easily help due to the pretty specific knowledge & hardware required.
You'd think they would end up using ofono+rilplugin anyway, which jolla contributes upstream to, is there actually an alternative?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
You'd think they would end up using ofono+rilplugin anyway, which jolla contributes upstream to, is there actually an alternative?
I would hope so & I'm not sure there is a viable alternative (IIRC Neo FreeRunner used FSO back then but no idea if that's still alive), but I know these things just from an observer PoV. But even then I wonder how much of what Jolla does is applicable to their hardware, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Announcing the Librem Phone Ringtone Contest winners.
I can't help but feel like they have the wrong priorities, if they waste time on such nonsense at this stage of the project.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
(IIRC Neo FreeRunner used FSO back then but no idea if that's still alive)
If it is, then barely so.
Back in the days when the Neo900 still looked like becoming real in a reasonable amount of time, Sebastian Krzyszkowiak (@dos1) said he'd make sure that SHR would run on the Neo900 running Debian. SHR uses FSO as a backend. Both were included in the official Debian repo at that time (Wheezy was "Stable" then), they were installlable and they ran more or less fine (I had no modem for actual tests and the UI was somewhat unstable, but at least it came up and seemed to run fine in my dry runs until it crashed for reasons I didn't find out).
After the Jessie release some of the FSO background processes weren't able to start, neither with Systemd (which became the new default init System in Jessie), nor with SysV, nor manually. It was quite obvious to me, that nobody actually tested these packages during the Jessie release cycle. So I filed a bug report and the packages were removed from Debian for not being maintained.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I can't help but feel like they have the wrong priorities, if they waste time on such nonsense at this stage of the project.
I'm sure they are just doing it for extra marketing buzz. If they have marketing people as well as technical people, there's no harm done (marketing people can't exactly do the detailed technical stuff anyway).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I'm sure they are just doing it for extra marketing buzz. If they have marketing people as well as technical people, there's no harm done (marketing people can't exactly do the detailed technical stuff anyway).
Well, I'm sure they have good marketing people with little techical knowledge, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just wondering if those people are best put to work by holding ringtone contests.
I believe the same people could also be used to hire technical geeks by presenting unsolved problems as attractive challenges to be solved.

btw:
Having a ringtone contest now, where not even a prototype exists, is pretty pointless. Ringtones are subject to fashion. It will be at least 1.5 years before the Librem 5 will be released. Nobody knows what will be fashionable at that time.
If for some reason Purism feels the need to change the default ringtone by that time, then the current contest will have been pointless.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: