Alright guys, So its finally given up.

The USB port has broken, My local nokia repair center wont touch it because i dont have proof of purchase, and i dont trust these 'back street markets' to tamper with it either (charge the earth and last time knakared my N73).

Not only that, its clear that maemo is a dying platfrom and i am at some point gonna have to make that change, So i may as well do it now than stretch it out.

Unfortunatly there is not much i can do - What would be the next best phone to get, I wil likley go to android but no way can i go without a keyboard.

Is the Only choice a Desire Z???

Or is there somthing coming out in the NEAR future i can hold off until? (maybe get by on one of those £10 phones)

All help is appreciated!

Craig

Last edited by CraigRobbo; 2011-03-21 at 15:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigRobbo For This Useful Post:
Il give you £10+P&P for it?

There are 'ropey' service points in existance. I think the nokia service point is like a franchise. Or more like an NHS dentist. They do the work and NOKIA pays them. Some dodgey service centres will fix your phone whether it is in warrenty or not, they don't care they still get paid by NOKIA. (obviously the phone still has to be within the warrenty period.)

I stripped a screw on the back of my n900 and took it to such a service centre (think capital city of scotland). The guy went through all the official procedure and fixed it. I had no proof of purchase, I simply walked in and said 'fix my phone'.

So, find another service point and try again.

Actually the guy who fixed my phone used a torx screw instead of a PH screw to close the back and he left a peice of dirt on the rear of the LCD. While I was able to sort this, the service point 'gave' me a new slider and charged NOKIA.

I got a call from nokia about a month later asking me to rate the service centre, at first I was going to say he left dirt behind the LCD but then I was like 'nah, he was a total bro and fixed my dodgy *** phone for free' so I gave him a good rating.

Last edited by vi_; 2011-03-21 at 15:54.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
My suggestion is to find a local unofficial mobile repair shop (ask your friends) and let them fix your N900. Just make sure that if they don't succeed in repairing it then you don't pay anything, and then you have nothing to lose.
Will probably cost less than buying a new phone and certainly the N900 is far superior to anything else currently on the market.

Originally Posted by NiQ View Post
My suggestion is to find a local unofficial mobile repair shop (ask your friends) and let them fix your N900. Just make sure that if they don't succeed in repairing it then you don't pay anything, and then you have nothing to lose.
Will probably cost less than buying a new phone and certainly the N900 is far superior to anything else currently on the market.
I agree, there is nothing on the market quite like it.

However, my Contract is due up soon and i thought i would make the best of the bad situation.

I guess i could attempt to get it repaired - Its already broke so wahts the worst that could happen right?

Unfortunatly as much as i love the phone, it feels that all i do is in vein(or is it vain?) because its a dying/dead platform

I will have to make the dreaded move sooner or later and it kinda felt like a sign (cheesy i know)

Thanks

Craig

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigRobbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Thanks for the offer, I feel if i put it on ebay for spares or repairs i would likley get more.

Craig

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigRobbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post

There are 'ropey' service points in existance. I think the nokia service point is like a franchise. Or more like an NHS dentist. They do the work and NOKIA pays them. Some dodgey service centres will fix your phone whether it is in warrenty or not, they don't care they still get paid by NOKIA. (obviously the phone still has to be within the warrenty period.)

I stripped a screw on the back of my n900 and took it to such a service centre (think capital city of scotland). The guy went through all the official procedure and fixed it. I had no proof of purchase, I simply walked in and said 'fix my phone'.

So, find another service point and try again.

Actually the guy who fixed my phone used a torx screw instead of a PH screw to close the back and he left a peice of dirt on the rear of the LCD. While I was able to sort this, the service point 'gave' me a new slider and charged NOKIA.

I got a call from nokia about a month later asking me to rate the service centre, at first I was going to say he left dirt behind the LCD but then I was like 'nah, he was a total bro and fixed my dodgy *** phone for free' so I gave him a good rating.
just noticed the Edited post.

Thanks for that, maybe that might be worth a shot. I never knew it was a franchise system.

Ill give another place ago, it should in theory still be under warrenty(i belive its 2 years?)

Craig

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by CraigRobbo View Post
I agree, there is nothing on the market quite like it.

However, my Contract is due up soon and i thought i would make the best of the bad situation.

I guess i could attempt to get it repaired - Its already broke so wahts the worst that could happen right?

Unfortunatly as much as i love the phone, it feels that all i do is in vein(or is it vain?) because its a dying/dead platform

I will have to make the dreaded move sooner or later and it kinda felt like a sign (cheesy i know)

Thanks

Craig
You should be happy that your contract ends soon - since the N900 is by nature always unlocked you can now use this opportunity to switch carriers if you wish.

About repairing - I also had to repair mine once (managed to completely smash the phone's LCD). Took it to an unofficial repair lab (had to because the N900 is not officially imported here), had to pay about 150$ but I'd never considered switching to another phone.

And about the platform - Yeah, Maemo's future doesn't seem very bright. MeeGo should have an N900 port (if a final version is ever released) and of-course the N900 will probably continue to be community-supported for a long time, which is more than you can expect from any commercial device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
i hate Nokia care

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatcobrah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I've sometimes managed to get my devices serviced without proof of purchase by arguing that they have been on the market for less time than the warranty period is. When did the N900 become available?

It's worth a try if all else fails. As some said already, I think, you can try it at different service centers too and see if one of them has a heart of gold.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi Craig,
Best bet is looking for a new handset and gettin the N900 fixed on the side. Like yourself my contract is up next month, and i'm also looking for a new phone. Nothing can compare to the frustrating yet satisfying N900, so i'll be getting something completely different.

Thinking about the Sony Playstation phone purely to play games because i dont want a high spec android phone to compete with my N900. Kind of sucks that Nokia havent released an official date for when the N950 hits the shelves!

The Following User Says Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:

Tags
broken usb