I have upgraded to PR 1.2 and was able to do part one for the fonts. But, UNABLE to get part to change the SMS and Messaging to to work as I get to the leafpad part to open gtkrc but nothing happens, only a blank white page shows up.

Help please!

Originally Posted by BongC36 View Post
My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be so I found the small fonts used in the N900 to be less than ideal. I searched for a way to increase them so that I can read them without wearing my reading glasses. The full credit for these techniques goes to b666m and Grant, I just compiled their info into a step-by-step form for us non-programmers. Thanks guys, now I can read them w/o glasses!

Basically the system fonts can be changed by editing the config file "gtkrc" for the theme you want to use. Each theme has it's own gtkrc file so if you want to switch between themes you have to edit them all.

The font sizes used in the SMS and IM conversations and in the single SMS view are controlled by 3 separate config files with a .css extension. You only need to do this once unlike in the above for themes.

To begin: first, you need to have access to the root. Download the file rootsh from Maemo.extras and install it. Also download and install the text editor Leafpad or you may use another text editor if you wish.

I will be using the theme 'marina' in this example, use whatever theme you want to modify, the steps are the same. So here is how I did it: Please type exactly as shown, as it is case-sensitive. Press 'Enter' after each command.

Part 1: Changing the theme fonts size
1. Open X-terminal
2. Type "sudo gainroot". If you had installed the rootsh mentioned above this will allow you to edit files
3. Type "cd /usr/share/themes"
4. Type "ls" to display the installed themes. This step is optional
5. Type "cd marina/gtk-2.0"
6. type "leafpad gtkrc" to edit the config file gtkrc
7. scroll down or use the search function until you see the section
* font definitions
8. Here you will see the fonts used in this theme. Just increase all fonts below 20 by 2 or 3 points higher.
Example I changed small fonts from 13 to 16
9. Do the same for the section
* new fonts for fremantle
10. When finished, use the pull-down menu to save or just press "x"
to exit. The program will prompt you if you want to save first before exiting

Part 2: Changing the SMS/IM conversation and single SMS font size
11. Type "cd /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html"
12. type "ls *.css" to see the 3 files you need to edit
13. type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations". This will load for editing the config file that
controls the size of the fonts we see in the SMS conversation screen
14. Locate the section "div.message {". This is close to the top of the file
15. Place the blinking cursor after the "{" then press <enter> to insert a blank line under "div.message {"
16. type "font-size: 30px;" (without the quotation marks of course)
17. press <enter> again to create another blank line below (optional)
18. I used 30px (pixels) in my case but you can use any size. The size of the avatar is 64 pixels so 32 pixels is half height
19. Save the edited file by using the pull-down save command then "x" to exit after saving
20. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsChatConversations".
21. Repeat steps 14 to 19
22. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSingleSMS"
23. Repeat steps 14 to 19 except for single SMS I used 32px instead of 30px for greater visibility
24. Done. Exit leafpad, exit X-terminal then reboot and enjoy the bigger fonts

This is how I did it. I cannot guarantee that it will work for you and of course I cannot be liable for any damages that may or may not happen to your phone. In my case it worked without a hitch and as you can see in the photos below, the fonts are much easier on the eyes!

Good Luck! If you want to modify another theme then just do Part 1 only. Part 2 is done one time only. It would also be a good idea to make back-up copies of the files before you modify them so in case something goes wrong you can restore.

My apologies for the poor quality pics and for the long post, I intended this post for non-expert people like myself who only wish to have bigger fonts the better to enjoy the N900. Oh I love my N900, what other phone allows me to tweak config files like this?

Did you miss out part 2 Section 12?
12. type "ls *.css" to see the 3 files you need to edit

try adding .css to the end of part 13
13. type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css". This will load for editing the config file that

I have just had redo this since I upgraded to PR 1.2

adding the .css to the end of those 3 lines is the only addition I had to make.
HTH

Zero

The Following User Says Thank You to zero2007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by kamishly View Post
I have upgraded to PR 1.2 and was able to do part one for the fonts. But, UNABLE to get part to change the SMS and Messaging to to work as I get to the leafpad part to open gtkrc but nothing happens, only a blank white page shows up.

Help please!
Hi there, Zero2007 is correct, you missed some steps. Adding ".css" is also a good idea because it filters out the other files except those with .css extensions. Less clutter on screen

To change the SMS and IM font sizes you have to edit 3 other files, not the GTKRC in the theme folder that we edited in Part 1. I'll try to revise part 2 to make this clearer:

Open x-terminal and type "sudo gainroot" like before if you had not yet done so.
11. Type "cd /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html" note the space after the letters cd!
12. type "ls *.css" to see the 3 files you need to edit. The command "ls" means "list"
12A. The three (3) files that you will see are:
MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation.css
MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css
MessagingWidgetsSingleSMS.css

13. type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation.css". This will load for editing the configuration file that controls the size of the fonts we see in the SMS conversation screen
15. Place the blinking cursor after the "{" then press <enter> to insert a blank line under "div.message {"
16. type "font-size: 32px;" (without the quotation marks of course, and note the semi-colon after px)
18. I used 32px (pixels) in my case but you can use any size. The size of the avatar is 64 pixels so 32 pixels is half height
19. Save the edited file by using the pull-down save command then "x" to exit after saving
20. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css".
22. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSingleSMS.css"
23. Repeat steps 14 to 19 except for single SMS I used 38px instead of 32px for greater visibility

Please be very careful when using x-terminal with root access enabled because you can damage your phone if done incorrectly. Check spellings carefully and see that you haven't accidentally erased or modified any other config entries other than the ones shown above.

This is how I did it in mine but of course I cannot assume any responsibility that it will work in yours. But look at the screen shots I posted to see what the results are when you do this right

Last edited by BongC36; 2010-05-31 at 13:08. Reason: corrected spelling x 2

Thanks you for the details! I will try to follow your description.
BTW, would you happen to know what I need to look name as for one of the default themes Digital Nature in the Xterm??
I don't see the Digital Nature.

Hi there, Zero2007 is correct, you missed some steps. Adding ".css" is also a good idea because it filters out the other files except those with .css extensions. Less clutter on screen

To change the SMS and IM font sizes you have to edit 3 other files, not the GTKRC in the theme folder that we edited in Part 1. I'll try to revise part 2 to make this clearer:

Open x-terminal and type "sudo gainroot" like before if you had not yet done so.
11. Type "cd /usr/share/rtcom-messaging-ui/html" note the space after the letters cd!
12. type "ls *.css" to see the 3 files you need to edit. The command "ls" means "list"
MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css
MessagingWidgetsIMConversations.css

13. type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css". This will load for editing the configuration file that controls the size of the fonts we see in the SMS conversation screen
16. type "font-size: 32px;" (without the quotation marks of course, and note the semi-colon after px)
18. I used 32px (pixels) in my case but you can use any size. The size of the avatar is 64 pixels so 32 pixels is half height
20. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsChatConversations.css".
23. Repeat steps 14 to 19 except for single SMS I used 38px instead of 32px for greater visibility

Please be very careful when using x-terminal with root access enabled because you can damage your phone if done incorrectly. Check spellings carefully and see that you haven't accidentally erased or modified any other config entries other than the ones shown above.

This is how I did it in mine but of course I cannot assume any responsibility that it will work in yours. But look at the screen shots I posted to see what the results are when you do this right

I think its under "default". The NSeries is "Alpha"
I edited the font sizes all the themes that I have installed so no problem when changing themes.

Last edited by BongC36; 2010-05-30 at 08:13.

Sorry to report, once I get to the leaf pad and to section 14 I only get a blank page .

BTW, I do see the 3 files you are talking about.

I have done this over and over, followed your instructions step by step. Something is not right!!

MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css
MessagingWidgetsIMConversations.css

13. type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css". This will load for editing the configuration file that controls the size of the fonts we see in the SMS conversation screen
20. Type "leafpad MessagingWidgetsChatConversations.css".

Sorry to report, once I get to the leaf pad and to section 14 I only get a blank page .

I have done this over and over, followed your instructions step by step. Something is not right!!
Opps very sorry, it should be "MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation.css" (no "s") not MessagingWidgetsSMSConversations.css

I have edited the revised instructions already

Last edited by BongC36; 2010-05-30 at 15:11.

everything is working great for me now needed to increase font size in the IM file and the single text as i had set the to small and forgot to resize thanks for the help everyone

It is case sensitive. you must type "Messaging" with a capital "M", not a small "m"

leafpad MessagingWidgetsSMSConversation.css
leafpad MessagingWidgetsIMConversation.css
leafpad MessagingWidgetsSingleSMS.css

In my case, I did not see MessagingWidgetsIMConversation.css, but MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css.
so I typed leafpad MessagingWidgetsChatConversation.css

The Following User Says Thank You to tangigi For This Useful Post:
Working perfectly

Thanks a lot.