Originally Posted by dave46 View Post
Maybe the phone was a return or refurb an has another lock code?
I suppose, but that would be very sloppy of Nokia :-( It sounds like the only way out is to reflash in order to disable the device lock settings, and not enable it or restore a backup until you've found out what the lock code is and/or changed it.

See http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware for flashing instructions, and make sure you hold down the U key while powering up the N900 to set it to flashing mode.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Colorado
On the topic of John the ripper... I have tried recovering passwords and i cant seem to make the program actually find the password... It was a Win NT Hash like this... 8C4F19105CE0F33EB958470418905193 Lol does anyone know how to crack it? :P
My Site and Blog

Gave up. Phone off to Nokia again. thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by joga View Post
You don't necessarily have to use those, you could just save it to a file in MyDocs first:

Code:
echo root:$(grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1|tail -1): > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
Then use the usb cable and copy the file old_lockcode from the device and invoke john the ripper on it as instructed. You could also simply copy&paste the code to pastebin.com or such with the n900 and then copy&paste it again to a file on a computer to avoid messing with the cable.
Hey right nw my mobile is passcode locked and therefore I am not able to access d Device also ! So where do I write the above commands ? As I am unable to access it frm ssh also bcz I don't have host name ! Moreovr I don't rrembr installing the ssh in my 900. So please( if thee ssh doesn't wrk) is there anyother way to reset d passwrd widt losing d data !

How do i write " | " in n900 cant seem to find the symbol

Press Fn (the blue arrow key) + Ctrl together to bring up the extra characters palette, or use the virtual keyboard.

ok guys , after not getting any response from here (and other forums) i gave my n900 to Nokia care (India, chrgd me arnd $7,INR 333), and surprisingly they unlocked my mobile widt losing my data (contat, notes call records,txts, pics vids,music) but my apps are gone !so its kinda soft reset !
But anyway , this means that there is definately a soln to unlock ur mobile without actually hard resetting it and losing all your precious data !
SO, The purpose of this post is to avoid ppl (who hace mistakenly locked/ secured their device and dont know the password and are about to hard reset it ! ) hard resetting the phone and losing their data BCAUSE THERE IS METHOD TO SOFT RESET YOUR PHONE AND RESET THE LOCK CODE OR JUST MAKE UR PHONE WRK AND AVOID LOSING YOUR DATA
! unfortunately i dont know the method, So please let us share wat can be the possible soln (if any1 have any idea or had experienced the same ! )
Though m still not able to change my lock code , but m gonna try the method stated here, which i suppose will let me reset the code.
Cheers
Vish

Originally Posted by vishisback View Post
they unlocked my mobile widt losing my data (contat, notes call records,txts, pics vids,music) but my apps are gone !so its kinda soft reset !
Sounds like a rootfs reflash (and you probably still have old app leftovers under /opt).

BCAUSE THERE IS METHOD TO SOFT RESET YOUR PHONE AND RESET THE LOCK CODE OR JUST MAKE UR PHONE WRK AND AVOID LOSING YOUR DATA
There almost certainly is some way to write to the config partition, but it would involve software and possibly cables that mere mortals don't have access to.

cables we already have and software we can easily get , as i remeber that nokia person was telling me to wait as he was downloading a flasher for it !

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, I was uber stupid and forgot my lock code. >.< Reflashed and I was at least able to get back into the device. But I could not get my code back (the mtd1 hack was of no use here: the code is now encrypted...).

But the libraries in charge of device locking have an interesting trait: write **** to the lock code area of where it is stored and it will be reset to 12345.

Attached is a program that will do just that. Warning: It is writing to a very critical part of the N900. I will take no responsibility whatsoever if it messes up your N900. It worked for me (i.e. I was able to reboot fine and change the code fine. Multiple times, actually. I tested quite a few times.) but I cannot ensure it will do the same for you. Use at your own risk.

It disables the autolock upon bootup, writes **** to the lock code area, brings up the control panel applet from which you MUST change it from 12345.

Run as root, prefixing it with run-standalone.sh.
hi qwerty i was wondering if you could tell me how i run this program you have posted on my device step by step. i tried to run the "run-standalone.sh a.out" but i get the error not found. i assume im not saving the file in the right place could you please advise
thank you

Tags
devicelock, nokia n900