I am totally new to *nix and the N800. Super thankful I found this forum!

The title says it all... Is there a way to set the LED to signal new email? I'd like to use the N800 as my primary email client but don't really want to wake up the screen needessly all day. Sound is good until you get a mail when you're not in the room.

Last edited by -Q-; 2007-03-19 at 13:42.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2007 @ London & Suffolk
Hello and welcome!

Yes there is a way to do what you want, but it's not perfect.

From the main screen, select the applications menu (on the left below web and contacts), then Tools, Control Panel, then Display. Check "Show LED Lights".

The light will flash every few seconds, but the flashing gets more frequent if you receive an email. (And also a chat message).

Some people have said they've found having the light on decreases battery lifetime though...

Nick

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by NickF22 View Post
Hello and welcome!

Yes there is a way to do what you want, but it's not perfect.

From the main screen, select the applications menu (on the left below web and contacts), then Tools, Control Panel, then Display. Check "Show LED Lights".

The light will flash every few seconds, but the flashing gets more frequent if you receive an email. (And also a chat message).

Some people have said they've found having the light on decreases battery lifetime though...

Nick
True. Apparently this prevents the device from sleeping properly which will drastically reduce your battery life. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed in a future firmware update.

Larry

Thanks much for the quick replies! So I guess it's a good news bad news situation. It's a start and I'll give it a go. Hopefully they'll work it out in the future.

Now to get my thumbs up to speed or my brain to think as slow as I'm typing

So battery seems to be holding out. I don't really think the light is noticeable though. Any expert types know how I might increase the frequency of the new mail blink ?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
So battery seems to be holding out. I don't really think the light is noticeable though. Any expert types know how I might increase the frequency of the new mail blink ?
Battery life will be reduced slightly as the CPU has to wake up to turn on the LED.

LED tech details here.