Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Someone calling him/herself Hacker and reading/posting to TMO using an iPhone?
Am I the only one seeing an irony in that?
Even hackers gotta use copy and paste sometimes...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Even hackers gotta use copy and paste sometimes...
Excellent!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Someone calling him/herself Hacker and reading/posting to TMO using an iPhone?
Am I the only one seeing an irony in that?
yes, I hope so. Don't judge

That would be simular Ironic as to say...Honest poeple should not use jolla. Which ofc isn't true

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-09-08 at 06:26.

Hahahah, a Hacker with an iPhone on TMO? Even a jailbroken iPhone is suspect as *****, I suppose.

Well, call it the duality of man or something like that. Like a hooker with a heart of gold. It’s all good.

Things are a little rougher here nowadays. More cynical. I came here first in my N900 days to see new possibilities. Kept chasing the next big thing to the N9, then to custom- everything Android, then to a couple of BlackBerry10 phones then to a jailbroken iPhone. I funded the Ubuntu Edge, but that super phone project didn’t work out.

I, for one, like the crazy high specs TRI is talking about. It’s like Elon Musk's Tesla plan. Start with the super high-end sportscar. Even if you miss on delivering everything, you still have something pretty special. Only a lucky few will ever drive one. But it serves a purpose.

Let’s face it. TRI is trying something new. Small-shop smartphones have traditionally been held back by low-spec devices. BlackBerry, for example, simply gave up on trying a high-end all touch flagship device. Jolla phone had spec issues from my perspective, too.

So if only a very few TRI phones make it out there, I still like it. I want superphones built! Even if I don’t get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
To call any specs list overblown would be denying the fact that since the past half decade the development of mobile phones has come to a complete halt.
Not just phones. The entire electronics industry has slowed down. We see gradual refinement in areas like miniaturization and power consumption but nothing revolutionary (no, Dave, ditching the headphones socket is not revolutionary!).

But I would not necessarily see that as a bad thing. Revoltions do not come every year. Replacing the horse power with steam was a revolution. As was replacing steam with electricity. How much time passed between the two events?

Closer to home, we have had "generations" of computers (electro-mechanical, vacuum tubes, transistor, IC, VLSI...). Between each new generation, we saw the same trend we see now, gradual improvement.

The hypothetical TRI devices are not revolutionary. They do not employ any new technology, only existing technology in overblown specs and a lot of empty techno-babble. If they were serious, their announcements would sound like "we have released..." or at least "we have developed...". This "we are planning to..." means nothing. I am planning to make a super-duper water powered engine and end the world hunger. Who's with me?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
The big difference between Tesla and TRI is that Elon Musk actually had an idea with paypal that provided a financial background for his new ideas, as crazy as they may have sounded.
There was a viable basis he built on.

TRI is pretending to have access to the big chips with no record of actually PROVING that it can finance anyhing more than some evaluation units, Spec sheets, cgi artists, a lawyer and a Photographer to join the first talks with landlords in finnland to shot while they evaluate the location.
Even the first Turing Phone still has to show being delivered with a SoC not vailable for a bargain.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Elon musk has done lots of strange projects before he got his money like most. Just want to inform you all about this. Strange ideas is the way to making money.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/overc...ead-adam-grant

BR,
Dave999

Jim Hamerly:
"It's legendary that he failed to land a job at Netscape. I was a VP there and he submitted a resume and, when no one responded, he chose to enter our lobby and sat there, apparently too shy to speak to anyone. At the time we were hiring up to 50 engineers/month, the hiring activity was unreal, so he would have been easily overlooked."

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-09-08 at 17:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
I still like it. I want superphones built! Even if I don’t get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course, think about all that idle computing power to hack into and remote control the Turing would potentially provide, haha mwuhahaha

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Article about TRI including Steve Chao interview on techradar website. The implication is that they did the interview themselves and didn't just cut-n-paste from elsewhere . . .

Also, to no one's surprise, both Cadenza and Chaconne aren't expected for two years now:

"The Cadenza and Monolith are due to be released in 2018 – at that time, a dual Snapdragon 830 setup will probably be on par with Apple's A11 or A12."

"Why do we need so much power? You really need to drill down into the actual processor performance. A single Snapdragon isn't going to compete with Apple. According to my own calculations, the A10 Fusion is equivalent in power to 1.5 Snapdragon 820s.

"I think by the time the A11 is out, it will be around 1.3 times more powerful than the new Snapdragon 830, so there's always that shortfall to address. Having two Snapdragon 830s connected via the WiGig computation, we're bound to lose a bit of computational power because it's not all in the same chip, unlike Apple's option. If you use just a single 830 chip, there's no way you can beat the iPhone."
So the answer to faster iPhone chipsets is "moar Snapdragons," I guess.

Sorry for the cynicism, enjoy the article, it's not terribly long.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Snapdragon processors are SoC. You can't simply parallel or add more chips to get more performance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvicol For This Useful Post:

Tags
swordfish os, turingphone