Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I still prefer to remap the camera key when it is not used, because we can do this with the N900 without any extra buttons or Hardwaremodifications.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
I have managed to create a simple application (read: quick hack) to accomplish this.

Started from xterm, it grabs a key (which should be the camera key) and when that key is pressed in any application then the app signals via dbus for the dashboard to appear (doesn't seem to work on desktop or in app menu).

I don't have the actual device yet but it works in scratchbox. Currently the key is F10 (not sure which key the actual camera key maps to).

The keypress gets eaten by my app so no other application can receive it. The app is obviously not ready to be packaged just yet, but it should prove that this is possible I'll try to make this into a real application once I receive my device.
Alright, this now works on the real device with the camera key. Light press (focus) takes you to the dashboard when the lens cover is closed. Now it just has to be properly daemonized & packaged.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Jeah... GREAT!

Now I only need a N900!

Please create a nice GUI with the posibility to configure the usage of a half pressed camera button and full pressed.
I will prefer half pressed camera Button for Taskmanager and full pressed for Desktop.

And then I only need your PayPal Account for the donation!

THANX!

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
Alright, this now works on the real device with the camera key. Light press (focus) takes you to the dashboard when the lens cover is closed. Now it just has to be properly daemonized & packaged.
Available in extras-devel now. I created a new thread for this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=403284

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post: