Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Estimated at around $40 with mine. I wonder why the difference?
It uses your shipping zip code to estimate the sales tax. Since they are obviously using a lookup table to make the estimates from, I would imagine it's going to be pretty accurate for most folks unless it turns out to be "zero" for some reason due to lack of business presence in some state or other loophole.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Oh, and btw....count me in the "N900 pre-ordered club"

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
It uses your shipping zip code to estimate the sales tax. Since they are obviously using a lookup table to make the estimates from, I would imagine it's going to be pretty accurate for most folks unless it turns out to be "zero" for some reason due to lack of business presence in some state or other loophole.
I think most states don't do sales tax for online retailers. Though some states have been pushing for it...

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think most states don't do sales tax for online retailers. Though some states have been pushing for it...
If the online retailer has a business presence in a given state where an item is being purchased/shipped, they very much do (eg amazon, dell, etc). It's inter-state commerce that becomes fuzzy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468512

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
The survey thing on that website is crap. A message popped up with two options, (1) take a survey when you are done at this site, or (2) no thanks. There was no option for take it now, so I chose the take it when I am done option, which brought up a little pop-up, but that caused my Firefox browser to go heywire, and it wouldn't behave until I closed the pop-up. So I can't fill out the survey now. I hope the folks at Nokia know they are skewing their survey results by eliminating Firefox users from participating.
I use Firefox (Swiftweasel) and the survey worked fine for me. Only problem was the progress indicator on the survey. When I was 100% finished, it showed on 50% complete. Along the way, it made me think about abandoning several times because it seemed like the survey would take forever at that rate of progress.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Short answer: Don't buy 3G phones from the Americas if you live in Europe. Get them from somewhere in Europe. Same advice to anyone in the Americas thinking of buying a 3G phone in Europe.

If you do buy a 3G phone from the Americas and use it in Europe, there's a good chance it won't connect to your local 3G networks. It's a bit of a lottery.

Long answer: 3G phones also have 2G compatibility, so that they can stay connected even when there's no 3G network nearby.

The 2G part of a 3G phone will probably work worldwide because there are normally three, four or five different 2G frequencies built into the phone. That means that most 3G phones will get some kind of signal worldwide, if you include 2G signals. The 2G might be what worked on the HTC you bought.

Some 3G frequencies are similar in Europe and the Americas, but not all, so if you buy an Americas 3G phone and travel through Europe you might find some places where it picks up a 3G signal and other places where it doesn't . It's a lottery.

The only way to avoid this lottery is to buy a phone with the correct frequencies for your part of the world, because the correct frequencies are guaranteed to work across the continent you live in.
man! you are absolutely right so check this out as a conformation for you opinion :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

thanx alot man sooo i'll pay more here for something fully work not to save and be busted!

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
If the online retailer has a business presence in a given state where an item is being purchased/shipped, they very much do (eg amazon, dell, etc). It's inter-state commerce that becomes fuzzy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468512
So how is business presence defined for TMobile then? I'm guessing since TMobile stores exist in every state they have to collect sales tax then? Or is the online store considered a seperate retailer?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

okay I pre-ordered mine. The also offered me second year of warranty for $20 instead of the normal $80. Th bluetooth headset they included for free cost $90 if you ordered it separatley. I went for the free shnipping. Now I can sit and wait....

The Following User Says Thank You to Paxicide For This Useful Post:
Pre-orderd mine. If TMobile subsizes it, without putting a big pink T on the bak then, I will get a second for the wife.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
So how is business presence defined for TMobile then? I'm guessing since TMobile stores exist in every state they have to collect sales tax then? Or is the online store considered a seperate retailer?
They would have to collect sales tax (in those states that have a sales tax) unless the online retailer was a wholly independent entity (which it isn't..so the point is moot). If you go through the motions of putting together an order @ tmo's site, you'll see for yourself.

With the current recession and the strained coffers at the state and local levels that it has brought, you can bet that the gov't bean counters will be watching such high-profile retailers like tmo and friends like a hawk when it comes to collecting the taxes due