Active Topics

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I really love this application but as total GPS newbie it was at first a challenge to use. Maemo Mapper has a very good help file. It approaches use by explaining functions as organized in the menu structure and is only available on your tablet. I've always found a task focus to be best when learning a new application. Partially as a self learning exercise I decided to write one. Although still a work in progress I felt it's time to start exposing it to the community for comments. I've taken the liberty to include the application help files which I extracted from the source tarball. It's written as a single web page and for now is hosted on my site http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/. I plan to add one or more screen dumps from an actual trip. I'm open to comments and corrections.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Looks good. I didn't see any big criticisms at first glance.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
<snip> Although still a work in progress <snip> I'm open to comments and corrections.
This looks GREAT.
A couple of points/suggestions -

Either mention some actual times for the N810 startup (10 minutes to never) or just flat out say load the agps-gui before trying ANYTHING. Unfortunately posters here seem to take "This can take a very long time" to mean TWO 60 second commercials, then complain.

The Graphical User Interface - GREAT!

There are several major POI databases and there are a lot of people asking for them here. However, they are TOO D@RN lazy to search for them and keep starting new threads. If you could find several and include them it would greatly enhance the noobies (pm sent).

/edit -
Also include a satellite image in one of your screen shots for more eye candy.

/BIGEDIT - Where's the PayPal button?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Last edited by gemniii42; 2008-10-07 at 03:01.

Good suggestions gemniii42. I changed the discussion of agps to reflect what you said. I haven't yet delved into POI but i already did see there are a number of sources and apparently a number of file formats. I need to learn more before I can write anything of value.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

I appreciate the effort, very nice guide.

Preferred connection: need not be set if you're using the N810 internal GPS.
I don't think this is accurate, see comment #19.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...n810/#comments
Preferred connection:
Preferred connection is used when you don’t have any connection up.
If you have WLAN connection up when GPS needs assistance data, A-GPS will use that connection to download assistance data.
I am using internal GPS and preferred connection automatically starts and downloads AGPS data when I start GPS without network connectivity.

Originally Posted by aot View Post
I appreciate the effort, very nice guide.

I don't think this is accurate, see comment #19.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...n810/#comments

I am using internal GPS and preferred connection automatically starts and downloads AGPS data when I start GPS without network connectivity.
In this instance, preferred connection refers to the GPS either internal or external via bluetooth. No specified connection means use the internal GPS. It has nothing to do with the network connection. I made a change to the HowTo to make it clear that this isn't the WiFi connection.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Last edited by fragos; 2008-10-07 at 05:24. Reason: clarification

In this instance, preferred connection refers to the GPS either internal or external via bluetooth. No specified connection means use the internal GPS. It has nothing to do with the network connection.
I'm talking about the first photo: A-GPS Settings. Preferred connection options at least in my A-GPS installation are the two GPRS connections I have configured.

You are correct, it doesn't have anything to with Wifi but plenty with GPRS packet data.

Last edited by aot; 2008-10-07 at 05:35.

I believe none of those are internal to the N810. If you have an N800 there is no internal GPS available. The help function in Maemo Mapper concurs with me. I have an N810 with internal GPS and I have no other GPS receivers. My N810 works perfectly with Maemo Mapper and nothing specified in this field. I appreciate your help but your understanding differers from my experience on my N810.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

I believe none of those are internal to the N810. If you have an N800 there is no internal GPS available. The help function in Maemo Mapper concurs with me. I have an N810 with internal GPS and I have no other GPS receivers. My N810 works perfectly with Maemo Mapper and nothing specified in this field. I appreciate your help but your understanding differers from my experience on my N810.
I am still going to insist this issue I have N810 btw

Yes I am sure your Maemo Mapper does work fine as this setting I am talking about relates only to the network connection that is established when AGPS starts if no other network connection is available. If you don't want your 3G/GPRS connection to autostart then you wont notice anything. The setting does not define the GPS module or connection to a GPS module. In fact if I use external GPS module I do not change a thing in AGPS settings.

When you use internal GPS with Maemo Mapper, yes you leave the GPS blank in Maemo Mapper settings as described in Maemo Mapper docs.

This is what happens with my N810 when starting Maemo Mapper (or any other software using GPS)
1. Start the software
2. GPS (internal or external, I have both) defined in Control Panel and/or software in question starts.
3. AGPS notices no network connectivity yet it needs to download AGPS data, Packet data is allowed in AGPS settings, therefore it starts the packet data connection defined in Preferred connection using the phone defined in Control panel. If I have Wifi connection or existing GPRS connection the preferred connection setting has no relevance.

If you disable packet data in AGPS settings then the preferred connection is grayed out. Yet Maemo Mapper downloads AGPS if you have Wifi. I think this clearly speaks for the fact that the preferred connection relates to data connection using phone. When disabled AGPS will still download AGPS data using Wifi but will not autostart GPRS packet data when wifi connectivity is not available.

I base my interpretation on this issue my own experiences and to instructions at http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...n810/#comments comment #19. I believe the commenter Marko is AGPS developer so I value his instructions highly.

I have tested this with two phones using two different operators data plans. With these combinations it makes a pain to change phones, first I need to change the preferred connection to a different operator. Then from control panel change the phone.

I also have external GPS module but usually use the N810 internal as I find it acceptable with the help of AGPS. I get consistent GPS locks everywhere within 60 secs when using AGPS with preferred connection.

Last edited by aot; 2008-10-07 at 06:31. Reason: Typos fixed

The Following User Says Thank You to aot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Just what aot says above, this is correct.

Tags
howto, maemo mapper