Hi, I'm not sure how to install The Daily Pluck since it needs to be installed manually. Any help?

Thanks

It's a series of Python scripts. Install Python 2.5 first then copy the script files over to the IT and run 'em.

I have Python 2.5 installed but when I try to run the create script for instance, it doesn't know what to do with it.

Originally Posted by SubNeo View Post
I have Python 2.5 installed but when I try to run the create script for instance, it doesn't know what to do with it.
You should be able to run the script directly, you don't have to pass it as an argument to python.

This is what I did, although some of it may be unnecessary.

The Daily Pluck directory needs to be on the internal memory, the memory card is not mounted as executable.

You need to ensure that the scripts have the executable flag set ("chmod -R +x *" should do it, I think). You may need to set the user and group on the files to 'user' and 'users' (which probably involves being root).

You should be able to go to the directory in xterm and type
./CreateDaily.py
I found it did work if I wasn't in the current directory.

I also needed to manually start a connection for it to connect to websites.

When testing, back up the feelist.txt file and edit out most of the feed lines, as it takes a long time to build a plucker file from a large set of websites.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to run it without using xterm (for instance, from load-applet-run), maybe with a wrapper scipt to initiate the connection and cd to the directory.

There was talk a while ago of a cron-type app that could automatically start a connection and run apps, which would be great if you could have your feeds ready to read every morning.

"You need to ensure that the scripts have the executable flag set ("chmod -R +x *" should do it, I think)." I did this as well as have the Daily folder on the internal memory and that got me farther. But i noticed I don't have a "CreatDaily.py", I have a "CreateDaily.sh". I typed "/home/user/MyDocs/Daily/CreateDaily.sh" in xterm and it gave me "Errno 2"'s saying python can't open "DailyPluck.py" and "PyPlucker/Spider.Py" because they do not exist. I checked and the files are in the folder. It also gave me this line, "rm: cannot remove './*.html' : No such file or directory."

Thanks for the help so far.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant CreateDaily.sh

try changing to the Daily directory, then running the script, (that's the error I got when I tried running it for a different directory)
cd /home/user/MyDocs/Daily
./CreateDaily.sh

The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
Sorry, my mistake, I meant CreateDaily.sh

try changing to the Daily directory, then running the script, (that's the error I got when I tried running it for a different directory)
cd /home/user/MyDocs/Daily
./CreateDaily.sh
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. How would I do this?

Try entering those two lines I gave in my last post in xterm instead of the single line you tried before.

That works, thanks.

I am still having this error message:
File "PyPlucker/helper/doc_compress.py", line 23
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xfc' in file PyPlucker/helper/doc_compress.py on line 23, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for detail