Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
AFAIK Ovi Maps on the N900 does not yet support turn-by-turn. Won't be a problem for me as I'll put my work-SIM in my 5800.
Hmm? Why shouldn't it? And this is also the first time I heard about the n900 maps application not supporting turn-by-turn - where did you get that?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Negative points:[LIST][*]POI data quality average, many POI missing or incomplete (ATM, Hotels)

On my symbian phone (e90) there's a very useful workaround for the scarcity of poi's on Ovi maps.

In fact, on that platform quite fortunately Google maps and Ovi maps can use the same format for preferred places. So, I look for what I need on Google maps, then when I find it I save it as a preferred place, and re-open that on Ovi maps.

I hope we are going to have Google maps on the N900, too, and that the same trick can be applied.

Otherwise, it would be an interesting development project to implement

Originally Posted by range View Post
Hmm? Why shouldn't it? And this is also the first time I heard about the n900 maps application not supporting turn-by-turn - where did you get that?
I can't find the link anymore, sorry. I hope they were misinformed.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post

I hope we are going to have Google maps on the N900, too, and that the same trick can be applied.
Unless some Google engineer does it as part of his/her "20%", I'm sure we won't for quite a while. Google's support of maps for smartphones is impressive (S60, Palm, Blackberry, iPhone, Wmob, Java) but I don't see them jumping to build a Maemo version just to support one device.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
Unless some Google engineer does it as part of his/her "20%", I'm sure we won't for quite a while. Google's support of maps for smartphones is impressive (S60, Palm, Blackberry, iPhone, Wmob, Java) but I don't see them jumping to build a Maemo version just to support one device.
So it can be done by extracting the lat/long coordinates from google search and feeding them to ovi maps. I bet that google apis mixed with ovi map apis allow that... not that I'm capable of coding though!

Originally Posted by mistermix View Post
Well, google earth is built on QT and is readily available for desktop linux distros. I can't imagine that it would be much of a stretch to see a google maps app for maemo built on the same framework...but that's just a guess on my part.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8951320009.html