Notices

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

I just though, that part of things that extkbd does, is to manipulate /usr/share/X11/xkb/, and restore it back from backup, when external keyboard gets disconnected. So, I got an idea, that the same can be applied to /.debian/usr/share/X11/xkb/, thus achieving workign external keyboard inside LXDE.
That is not the case, contents of /usr/share/X11/xkb/ is a part of a different package (xkb-data-extkbd) which is backported debian xkb-data (v1.8 if memory serves me well). And extkbd just reads the keyboard descriptions from there(to fill in the UI list and to prepare hal script).

What I can think as a solution is to re-package xkd-data from repos (with a name like xkb-data-easydebian), so its content to be put under /.debian/usr/share/X11/xkb/ upon installation. And BTW xkb-data-extkbd makes a backup of /usr/share/X11/xkb/ before overwriting it, one just can untar it in the correct place.

I've used to know the hackery used by bt-hid-scripts, but that was a long time ago . And you are right, too many projects on my side, just cannot participate in this one too

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
And BTW xkb-data-extkbd makes a backup of /usr/share/X11/xkb/ before overwriting it, one just can untar it in the correct place.
Yea, I noticed the backup, that why I've thought about extkbd bringing it back after operations. It seems, that I've misunderstood how etxkbd (GUI) and it's related packages works. Thanks for explanation!

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I've used to know the hackery used by bt-hid-scripts, but that was a long time ago . And you are right, too many projects on my side, just cannot participate in this one too
As I've said, no problem, and I'm sure honest response is much better than taking 143234 projects and disappearing without any trace, like we've seen too many times

I'll try little harder to reverse-engineer it, and/or buggy original creator about working principles. Expect me to drop here from time to time and ask some quasi-off-topic trivials

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

@freemangordon
qole was kind to explain part of bt-hid-scripts, that are responsible for proper external keyboard support in LXDE:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2513

Any chances to implement it in extkbd?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@freemangordon
qole was kind to explain part of bt-hid-scripts, that are responsible for proper external keyboard support in LXDE:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2513

Any chances to implement it in extkbd?

/Estel
Well, all my experience with setxkbmap is that it ruins all that extkbd/hal had set. Isn't it possible to do that from chrooted environment (i.e. from easydebian itself)?

On the other hand maybe it is possible to set up keyboard layout from hal for X:1. Will look at the issue these days.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I cannot get (several different models) keyboards to work via USB, neither via host cable + adapter PS2->USB, nor directly via host cable. (But flash drives work with this particular adapter cable!)

Kernel message log attached.

Enviro: kp49 +extmouse + extkbd + h-e-n, no HID scripts.

EDIT: "Not working" equals to: no keyboard model detected / selectable from "keyboard" button, layout therefore is also not saved despite success message. Currently i do not have BT devices to check if at least that interface is successful.
Attached Files
File Type: gz hostmode.txt.gz (5.7 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-02-07 at 12:08.

Judging by your dmesg output, device isn't enumerated properly, so extkbd doesn't have much to do.

Seems like report for hostmode thread.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Ok thank you, i will forward case to appropriate queue.

(Is it that i always check with Cherry G80-3000 / MX keyboards and nobody used them before?)

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
So using evtest and xinput, I've been able to verify that all the keys are making it to my n900 and confirmed that the default keycode mappings should be valid. However, for some reason, the mappings aren't working. Only the following keys are working:
- all letters
- space
- tab
- backsapce
- enter
- comma
- period
- shift (though not at the same time as i press another key)
- esc
- directional keys
- f keys

Numbers, most special characters, and most special keys (such as capslock, ctrl, alt, etc) aren't working though events are sent in. Any idea what could be wrong? I've tried different mappings, but I can't get any of these other keys to work. Has anyone else experienced similar issues and/or know how to get numeric keys and special keys working?
I have the same problem and I found where it is. Unfortunately it took much time, so the only excuse for me is that now I know a little bit more of Xorg internals.

There's a function IsPointerDevice in Xorg code. If the device has "valuator" and buttons, it is treated as pointer device (= mouse). I don't know exactly what the valuator is, but sure in our case combo keyboard is treated as pointer device. Then if keyboard events are coming from pointer dev, they are processed on behalf of some other keyboard.

So xkb config assigned to a combo keyboard is not used, modifiers are not working, and so on.

I hacked evdev_drv.so to skip pointer device configuration, and the keyboard part started to work properly. Now I'm looking for a way to clone the input device so touchpad and keyboard parts would act separately.

Presence of extra capablities in lshal output may be a sign of the problem, but it's not exact as the evdev_drv detects input capabilities on it's own.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kirillkk For This Useful Post:
I changed evdev_drv.so to be able to handle keyboard and mouse events separately. Driver source was taken from
xserver-xorg-input-evdev-mouse-2.1.99-1osso20090206.12.tar.gz (xserver-xorg-input-evdev-mouse 1:2.1.99-1osso20090206.12-1mouse+0m5).

There are two new options KeyboardOnly and MouseOnly.
If you set KeyboardOnly to "yes", then the evdev can be registered with Xorg for the second time with MouseOnly = "yes". So the single linux evdev can be registered as two X server devices.

There are hal scripts, readme and evdev patch in the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: gz combokbd.tar.gz (15.9 KB, 115 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kirillkk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kirillkk View Post
I changed evdev_drv.so to be able to handle keyboard and mouse events separately. Driver source was taken from
xserver-xorg-input-evdev-mouse-2.1.99-1osso20090206.12.tar.gz (xserver-xorg-input-evdev-mouse 1:2.1.99-1osso20090206.12-1mouse+0m5).

There are two new options KeyboardOnly and MouseOnly.
If you set KeyboardOnly to "yes", then the evdev can be registered with Xorg for the second time with MouseOnly = "yes". So the single linux evdev can be registered as two X server devices.

There are hal scripts, readme and evdev patch in the attachment.
Do you want to be added as a maintainer of all this extkbd/extmou stuff. As I really just don't have time to actively maintain them, all my spare time goes into KP/CSSU

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, keyboard