Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
MWKN Weekly News: 6 February 2012

Qt Innovation Challenge winners announced

Winners of the most popular N9 apps have walked away with $10,000 and, in the case of PhoneTorch, $50,000 as part of Nokia's "Qt Innovation Challenge". Participants were invited to enter the competition with:
We are looking for new and innovative content for use on this high-end, Qt-powered smartphone, and in particular we are looking for apps that match the sophisticated style and capabilities of the Nokia N9. This can include apps for entertainment, luxury and fashion, technology, travel and sport – to name a few. At the same time, maybe you will submit an app that makes innovative use of the front-facing camera on the Nokia N9, or takes advantage of features like NFC that are built-in to the phone.
Not wanting to begrude the winners but the competition failed in its aim: to make innovative, mainstream apps for the Qt platform and Nokia N9. The judging was done on number of downloads, rather than any subjective view of "innovativeness". Your editor didn't enter the competition as his in-train apps didn't meet his own definition of "innovation". However, very few of the winners do either.

This is the biggest problem with Harmattan: not the lack of apps (there are plenty), but the lack of innovative, distinctive apps which make you go "oooh".
Read more (qtinnovationchallenge.nokia.com)

In this edition...
  1. Front Page
    • Qt Innovation Challenge winners announced
  2. Development
    • Qt SDK 1.2 released
  3. Announcements
    • LPMCustomizer in Store for N9
    • Fremantle stack for Mer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
$50K for an app that switches on a LED? And call it innovation?
You gotta be kidding me!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
On the other hand, I wonder if MWKN should still be called "Maemo". It's rather "Harmattan Weekly News", or "Nokia Disruptive(tm) weekly news". i.e. less and less interesting material to read for non-harmattanish people.

It's even more upsetting, when You consider amazing momentum, that Fremantle have now (CSSU and KP whirlwind of development, to name a few). It seems, that MWKN editor just fail to follow all this innovative things, concentrating on harmattan boredom.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Code:
gst-launch v4l2src ! filesink location=/dev/null
I can haz 50k now?

tnxbye

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by petur View Post
$50K for an app that switches on a LED? And call it innovation?
You gotta be kidding me!
beat me to it, but remember this is the "new" nokia who along with micrsoft seem to have repeated apple's trick, and rolled back the smarrtphone features clock, and claiming every re-invention is a fantastic new feature. The Emperor's new clothes springs to mind.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On the other hand, I wonder if MWKN should still be called "Maemo". It's rather "Harmattan Weekly News", or "Nokia Disruptive(tm) weekly news". i.e. less and less interesting material to read for non-harmattanish people.

It's even more upsetting, when You consider amazing momentum, that Fremantle have now (CSSU and KP whirlwind of development, to name a few). It seems, that MWKN editor just fail to follow all this innovative things, concentrating on harmattan boredom.

/Estel
Didn't you get the memo? MeeGo-Harmattan is conveniently re-branded as Maemo6 now that MeeGo is dead.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Code:
gst-launch v4l2src ! filesink location=/dev/null
I can haz 50k now?

tnxbye
No. You have to use Qt.

Code:
#include <QCoreApplication>

int main(argc, char *argv[])
{
QCoreApplication app(argc, argv); system("gst-launch v4l2src ! filesink location=/dev/null"); return app.exec();
}

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Aww snap, does that mean I only get 2nd prize of 10k?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Didn't you get the memo? MeeGo-Harmattan is conveniently re-branded as Maemo6 now that MeeGo is dead.
If Apple names it new iPhone Maemo 746 will MWKN also feature it?

C'mon, I don't care how it was "rebranded". It's still not interesting for Maemo users.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Aww snap, does that mean I only get 2nd prize of 10k?
No. Same rules apply. You get the booby prize - a free N9.

My website

GitHub

Tags
mwkn_issue, news_digest