Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
After several chats with people familiar with the way Nokia does things, I can tell you that Nokia currently has no plans for defunding Maemo.org or any of it's facilities. If they do, we will very likely get anywhere from 6 months to a years forewarning. (Much like the Meego sites got, many months ago.)
Woody,

thank you for this comforting update.
isn't it true that NOKIA has been pushing to integrate MeeGo / Harmattan more with Maemo.org (again) since then?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Woody,

thank you for this comforting update.
isn't it true that NOKIA has been pushing to integrate MeeGo / Harmattan more with Maemo.org (again) since then?
Council from the last term (and continuing into this term) has been quietly doing that for some time now. This includes updating some of the infrastructure, which involves Nokia to a small extent. Work on it was slow going before because of the fiasco that has been Nokia over the past year. With the return of a few key people things are progressing nicely. We're not there yet, but there will be a few visible changes over the next few months.

Also, council meeting logs are being posted to the blog, for those interested.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-06-04 at 20:53. Reason: Added link.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
Well they should exactly what you are supposedly saying woody cuz otherwise they would loose another bunch of nokia mobile users on this planet we call earth.maemo.org has always been full of intellectuals and brilliant minds over the glob and guess what after being bored from apple or ad-droid a lot of people coming towards the open source and mainly for maemo/meego/mer and nemo.plasma KDE is also getting a lot of love.Customization is what really drawing people towards maemo.It is simply brilliant . Rest hope for the best to occur .

The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I know it's friendly and community place, but lately, especially with N9 out (while it was less geek and more end user phone) there are a lot of new members and people, who not really going thru forum rules. E.g. : Post before search, bump and just ask developers about updates, telling that some of the apps stupid or useless. While it's disrespect to developers, who actually wrote something for harmattan/maemo. As not a lot of companies, devs support those platforms =( And i don't see too many action from moderator. Is there any way to make politics more strick or any plans on that?
P.S. I ask council and all those telling, it's open forum and freedom of speech people can just get this msg as my freedom of speech.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I know it's friendly and community place, but lately, especially with N9 out (while it was less geek and more end user phone) there are a lot of new members and people, who not really going thru forum rules. E.g. : Post before search, bump and just ask developers about updates, telling that some of the apps stupid or useless. While it's disrespect to developers, who actually wrote something for harmattan/maemo. As not a lot of companies, devs support those platforms =( And i don't see too many action from moderator. Is there any way to make politics more strick or any plans on that?
P.S. I ask council and all those telling, it's open forum and freedom of speech people can just get this msg as my freedom of speech.
the Council has no authority on TMO (Talk Maemo Org)
it is up to the owner of the site (Reggie) and his team of moderators to police TMO.
under every post's date is a link (Report This) that goes straight to the moderators.
like most thing here, it is community driven.

as to the N9 being a "mass product";
it was an attempt by NOKIA to go back to the "unibody" design of the early Maemo devices (770 & N800) without hardware keyboard.

as the accessories market on eBay seems to prove (a lot of hw kbd for iPotato device(s)) hw kbd isn't only a gadget for geeks.
anyone who has to write a lot of text (e-mails?) on a mobile needs it

N900 probably is the best Communicator NOKIA had... since the Communicator

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Hi

Before I can promote qt-components-10 to extras, I need some clarification about it's dependences, and the proper way to push it into maemo packaging infraestructure.

qt-components has two main soft requirements:
  • nokia pure fonts: Nokia pure is internally used as the default font for components like Label, Button, etc. Althought fremantle version could make use of some sort of 'theme system' to change default font to one selected by user, changes introduced on nokia-pure PR1.2 http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ger-and-better makes a bit tough to perfect pixel UIs for both, Harmattan and Fremantle devices.
  • icons from blanco theme: They aren't open but we can use on Fremantle and community projects like Mer.

According to @qgil post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...65&postcount=4 We have a 'go ahead' to push those requirements, the question is where. A webfont version of nokia-pure is already on free-extras (ttf-nokiapure) but this post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=59 says that 'grey packages' should go on non-free repo. Where's the problem? Problem is that IIRC, we can promote a package that had dependences on non-free packages.

Question is, How I should proceed. I can package non-free icons on blanco-theme package and add a hard dependence to it on qt-components-10 package. I can also update a new nokia-fonts package with Harmattan PR1.2 fonts to extras-devel and also add a hard dependence to it. This is the easiest approach and It allow people to also work on a set of free-icons deployed with base theme http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84802 to be used on Non Nokia platforms (BB10)

I've already send a private message to @laasonen to see If he can update ttf-nokiapure package. I've already packaged nokia-pure fonts, and I can push to extras-devel, but I prefer to use their package if it's updated properly.

I also want to ask removal of qt-components package. It doesn't contain platform adaptation and brings a lot of confusion.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to inean For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Hi inean, thanks for bringing it here.

The approach that you comment seems to be the more appropriate. I understand that the non-free icons should be in a separate package than blanco-theme, though.

The problem here is about promoting packages that depend on a non-free package. I must admit I had no idea that this was a problem, we will address this question to X-Fade, but I think that in the meantime you should be OK to push the packages to devel.

Regarding the package ttf-nokiapure, if you don't receive an answer from the original maintainer, please ask him for maintenance and even if you don't get answer, you can come back here and we will then grant you the permissions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
For those interested, meeting minutes for the last council meeting are updated on the Council Blog.

Sorry for the delay, but I was away and unable to post them internally until Monday, then delayed until Tuesday for review.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It seems impossbile to get the rights for Extras, devel. The approvel is not working since no one is doing this since the last guy left or fired(who knows)

Is there anything the council can do. Ask someone whats going on?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
It seems impossbile to get the rights for Extras, devel. The approvel is not working since no one is doing this since the last guy left or fired(who knows)

Is there anything the council can do. Ask someone whats going on?
Do you mean to get the approval to upload to Extras Devel?

Is that's the case, there is an automatic response email saying that the maintainer is not working on it any more but after a few days, you should receive the approval. For me it took about 3 or 4 days.

In any case, this is something to talk with X-Fade, at least to try to disable the automatic email.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
ask council, ask the council, community, councilors, questions