Active Topics

Poll: Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?
Poll Options
Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?

Now since the migration seems to be already done, are there any plans about improving the forum, moving legacy stuff to more isolated area, creating subsections for current projects like Mer > Nemo/PlasmaActive/Sailfish and etc.? This question was pushed until the after migration, so now should be a good time to revisit it.

UPDATE:
See the related poll: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88790

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-25 at 07:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
And also, please change the september council elections logo

The Following User Says Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Restructuring is always nice but I think a thread is enough for mer. Maybe mer deserve a sub. But in that case, ubuntu, tizen, android and others do it as well. When it comes to jolla a thread is definitely enough. Their answer to the open letter was pretty boring so we can easily use one of the 5 threads to discuss anything related to jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-20 at 07:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
While new user signup, image verification image doesn't load. Someone should check and get it fixed if needed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
Any response from TMO admins on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I think we need bb10 and sailfish forums, those operating systems have a lot in common with maemo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I think we need bb10 and sailfish forums, those operating systems have a lot in common with maemo.
Sailfish OS, BlackBerry 10 OS and Ubuntu Phone OS are logical pathways for Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan users and developers (common use of Qt/Qt Quick). So it would be very useful to have here, in TMO, some topic sections dedicatted to them.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
I'd say Mer should have top level subforum, since Mer is continuation of Meego. And in Mer subforum there should be Sailfish, Plasma Active and Nemo subsections. Sailfish is not the only system which uses Mer. Right now all these topics are placed in Meego/Harmattan subforum which makes it too messy, since it's usually flooded with Harmattan specific stuff.

Ubuntu Mobile and BB10 can have their own subforums as well.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-22 at 03:03.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Now since the migration seems to be already done
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Any response from TMO admins on this?
I think this will have to wait...

Read the wiki page for migration and you see how much more is left for the Community to migrate over... Of course that doesn't include the possibility of a second migration if the current Nokia-sponsored hardware is too expensive to be sustained...

As for the topic itself, what you mean by top-level sub-forum I don't get it... We can have IMO a sub-forum for Sailfish since its Jolla and can be brought on our current deivce(s), Mer is another issue altogether... This I think has to be pushed on from Council to a vote or something to determine what is the consensus...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-01-22 at 05:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Nemo is already brought to N900 and N9. And the only reason Sailfish can do the same is the fact that it's based on Mer and Nemo already did most of the work. So I don't see why Sailfish should be given more status than Nemo or Mer itself. They are all quite strongly related, with Nemo and Sailfish being end user OS, and Mer being their base. So I think Mer deserves a subforum, with Nemo, Sailfish and Plasma Active subsections. Plasma Active shouldn't be ignored by the way.

I'm not sure if TMO allows such subections though (i.e more than one level). For me something like this makes sense:

-> Systems
-->> Mer
--->>> Sailfish
--->>> Nemo Mobile
--->>> Plasma Active
-->> Ubuntu Mobile
-->> Blackberry OS

In the future, if Nemo and Sailfish will merge (it's an expected possibility if Sailfish will become fully open), their sections can be merged as well.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-01-22 at 05:45.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post: