I have to disagree with everyone who is prematurely burying their n900. Yes, it's a chunky piece and it doesn't have enough ram.

I knew that when I bought it over a year ago.

Just because the market is moving along, the n900 isn't getting any worse and at the moment there simply are no alternatives on the horizon. I'm aware that quite a few people are buying a new handset every year for giggles but I'm also confident that there are enough people who will stick with their n900 for as long as possible or until a real alternative arrives. Apart from the USB port, which is not an unfixable issue, I don't see many problems with the hardware. There will be replacement screens and batteries around for a while. Also, there are still plenty of people around using their N800s and that thing is from 2007.

To me, nothing has changed, since there still is no device out there with a keyboard, a proper screen and an (almost) proper Linux distribution that lets me do all the things I usually do when using Linux. For my purposes, the market has not moved an inch since 2009.

In any case, I've got my spare N900 in the drawer...
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2011-08-16 at 09:52.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to shapeshifter For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
I have to disagree with everyone who is prematurely burying their n900. Yes, it's a chunky piece and it doesn't have enough ram.

I knew that when I bought it over a year ago.

To me, nothing has changed, since there still is no device out there with a keyboard, a proper screen and an (almost) proper Linux distribution that lets me do all the things I usually do when using Linux. For my purposes, the market has not moved an inch since 2009.

In any case, I've got my spare N900 in the drawer...
Everyone on Maemo.org need to realise this and think very hard about a solution when Nokia finally pulls the plug on Reggie and this server !.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Are we doomed to lose the GNU\Linux in our Pockets?
I don't think so. It's worth remembering that there were other iterations that were even more mismanaged and abandoned (like the Zaurus line mentioned earlier). There is a market for such a thing, so eventually someone will try to satisfy it.

But yeah, I agree that things are looking pretty bleak right now.

I think the best thing the Maemo community can do over the next year and a half is to transition to the MeeGo community
Personally I don't find that an acceptable substitute, if only for the lack of appropriate hardware (plus a whole gamut of other issues that are off-topic here so I'll spare you the rants).

As for the future of this community, I think first we have to recognise and accept that it is already very fragmented. We have the people who believe it's just this forum vs the people who think it's the entirety of maemo.org, GNU/Linux lovers vs Symbian refugees, people who move forward and are already developing on N950s vs N8x0 ludites and so on. It's unrealistic to expect all these to agree to move in the same direction, and that's fine. I think the most important thing is to ensure enough infrastructure is left over so that people can still work on what interests them.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Having used the N950, I also realize how badly crippled the N900's hardware is by lack of RAM. Even though the N950 has a similar chipset, it has 1 GB of RAM, and that makes a huge difference in speed. The terrible swap issues on the N900 are another symptom of this problem.
Use compcache. Seriously!

Like the 770 and N8x0s before it, the N900 looks very dated when placed beside the much better performing devices appearing on the market these days.

Even if we baby our N900s, they're rapidly gaining "quaint" status.
Ah, well, performance is overrated. For myself, I recently got a brand new N810 that (modulo accidents) should last long enough for something better to come along (but then again I though the same thing 2 years ago...)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post

For all its faults, N900 still has no competition in my eyes.
this, sadly

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Kiev, UA
i`m not an active member of this community, although i always start my day with reading this forum as well.

that`s an nature of all things. i aslo fail to see any bright future for n900/n950/n9 and maemo/meego. but i believe it`s what market dictates.

nokia failed desperately in competition with ios and android, let`s face it. let`s be grateful for what this comany brought us before and be happy with what we have.

i might switch to dumbphone + tablet/netbook schema, as my day-to-day workhorse.

it was an real pleasure to read helpful messages by experts here, and in case that aliens/jesus/ktulhu will make meego/maemo shine again - i`ll follow in

Hell is not punishment,
it's training.
Shunryu Suzuki

For me the only hope is MeeGo and a new hardware company either from the big ones or a small on which want's to cut a piece of the market. I'm not going to buy N9. It's a dead end for me. I'm waiting for Intel or someone to make a MeeGo phone. There is also hope in Kubuntu mobile.

N900 and TMO opened my eyes. Today I'm a linux user, and I won't be running WIndows again. So something which will be as good as my Ubuntu and N900 is my dream. Time will tell. Untill it will happen my N900 works ok and I don't need anything else. The whole thing for me is about progress. Now Linux on mobile isn't making huge progress (no phones on the market) but maybe it will change. Untill there is no progress I'll stick with N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
For me the only hope is MeeGo and a new hardware company either from the big ones or a small on which want's to cut a piece of the market. I'm not going to buy N9. It's a dead end for me. I'm waiting for Intel or someone to make a MeeGo phone. There is also hope in Kubuntu mobile.

N900 and TMO opened my eyes. Today I'm a linux user, and I won't be running WIndows again. So something which will be as good as my Ubuntu and N900 is my dream. Time will tell. Untill it will happen my N900 works ok and I don't need anything else. The whole thing for me is about progress. Now Linux on mobile isn't making huge progress (no phones on the market) but maybe it will change. Untill there is no progress I'll stick with N900
if we have seen the last of open platforms based on linux/qt from nokia, then i too hope another player (LG?) takes up Meego as their smrtphone platform of choice.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
PS: Texrat, be a total bro and leak the maemo code eh? I won't tell it was you I promise.
No access since 3 years ago... sorry, man.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
The only person who has the Maemo code is stskeeps .......... good luck

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The only person who has the Maemo code is stskeeps .......... good luck
I don't fully understand why you're singling out stskeeps all the time, he's paid to be part of a hardware adaptation team, making the MeeGo N900 hardware adaptation. The team has access to the few closed bits needed to make a working hardware adaptation for the good of the device community. Without him actually reaching out and being part of the device community, you'd have no idea he existed or was he was the one doing the work.

This is how the real world works:

* A company hires and pays a consultant/subcontractor to work on an issue.
* They give the needed access to the sources needed under strict non-disclosure to do the work
* Copyright of code remains with the company, this means the consultant/subcontractor cannot legally publish any sources or even the binaries himself
* Copyright of the work/contribution being done by the consultant/subcontractor is transferred (usually) to the company.
* A representative of the company then publishes the results of the work to the general public, maybe as part of a device OS, maybe as part of a source code release, maybe as part of a binary redistributable release

In this case, it's Stskeeps as a consultant and two-three teams from subcontracting companies doing work to get things working. Nokia pays these guys to get this specific work done - Maemo work isn't part of that/part of their work. You'll have to prod Nokia on getting other issues fixed and financed.

Last edited by tekki; 2011-08-16 at 13:49.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)