Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Is this company legit? $330

http://gsmarena-mobiless.blogspot.co...e-mtk6595.html
Not sure. But this origami game is so lame. or is it a game...or just lame...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-27 at 09:51.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Not sure. But this origami game is so lame. or is it a game...or just lame...

http://www.buriedwithchildren.com/wp...7/DSCN1176.jpg
Did you order the phone?

realistically that wont have a port of cm11 on. hmmm

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Did you order the phone?
no. not until they are free for all.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Someone's selling MX4 Ubuntu Edition invitations on Ebay. Suspect they may be a member here as they're selling a lastucase Jolla case too.

Sold 2 so far. They have full feedback. Last one went for €4.

2 unsold.

Tempted to go for one, but don't have the time to do anything with it atm.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/gulaschwurst/m.html

Currently 4x MX4 Ubuntu editions on ebay. Lowest for £265 buy now.

Kind of tempted, but I think I'll wait until I have a bit more time, and also see what the next two OTA updates bring.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I didn't realise it was so hard to get an invite... I got two invites less than 5 minutes after reading on the web that the phone had been launched.

In fact, it was so easy I suspected I might have been scammed, until the phone showed up on Monday morning.

It's good, but I reckon it makes the Jolla feel 100% production ready. I'll probably swap back to the Jolla as my main phone once the newness wears off Hopefully future updates will improve things rapidly - it's not 'bad', it just feels a bit unready.

Anyone found a decent user forum yet?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
I didn't realise it was so hard to get an invite... I got two invites less than 5 minutes after reading on the web that the phone had been launched.

In fact, it was so easy I suspected I might have been scammed, until the phone showed up on Monday morning.

It's good, but I reckon it makes the Jolla feel 100% production ready. I'll probably swap back to the Jolla as my main phone once the newness wears off Hopefully future updates will improve things rapidly - it's not 'bad', it just feels a bit unready.

Anyone found a decent user forum yet?
Nope.
We're all sort of waiting for first impressions and full review from you (or anyone who's managed to get one).

I'm also interested in what sort of support this will get in terms of:
- Mobile Ubuntu OS updates from Canonical
- Firmware updates from the OEM
- First-party App updates from OEM/Canonical
- Warranty and Device Servicing
- Kernel/Driver tweeks by community
- ROM tweeks by community
- Third-party apps
- Third-party accessories

The iPhone smashes the "Support" category out of the ballpark. Most Android devices fare quite poor, unless it is a Nexus or a very very popular flagship.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Nope.
We're all sort of waiting for first impressions and full review from you (or anyone who's managed to get one).
OK, haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but here's my thoughts so far...

Hardware :
-Feels really nice and comfortable to hold once it's all together. It looks like a large device, but objectively it's only a little wider than a Jolla, and similar height and depth.
-Some online articles say it's got dual sim holder - it doesn't :-(
-Removing the rear cover feels like you'll break it.
-Screen seems really good, though I've not directly compared it to anything. The only mobiles I use regularly are Jolla and N900, so direct comparison would be rude and pointless.
-Camera seems to take decent macro shots (important to me, I tend to use the phone to document engineering details), and 1080p video seems OK.
-Battery life seems poor. Today had 25 minutes of phone calls, and a little wifi use. Battery has just hit 20% after 11 hours. (It's gone down another 6% while I wrote this, just because I keep switching it on and off to try stuff)
- No uSD card is a bit of a negative to me, though it is possible to mount a microUSB stick. FAT32, not exFAT (IIRC, I only tried a few things until I could read files off of the stick)

Software :
- Either the whole 'scopes' thing is a complete PITA, or someone needs to write some instructions for idiots like me. How the hell do I close an application? The only way I can find is to swipe into the 'portfolio' of scopes (usually 5-6 times until I can get it to stop onscreen, not select one scope) then slide all the extraneous apps downwards. Maybe theres an easy way I missed, or it becomes second nature, but it's been annoying me for 3 days.
- I really miss double tapping the screen to wake the device (Jolla stylee)
- The 'Today' scope is hopeless. Doesn't show enough information of anything, and spends a lot of of its time blank while (preusmably) getting location data to show sunrise time. Turn off geolocation and it just shows 'Sunrise:'. Irritating. The 'Apps' scope has buttons for 'phone', 'messaging', 'contacts' etc. and is much more useful as a home screen.
- I turned off the Today scope, for reasons above. Then I spent a half hour trying to find how to turn it back on.
- Lock seems to activate whenever the screen is turned off. I'd prefer 'after an hour unused' or something. I haven't played with the available options yet, this may be possible.
- Lots of stuff in the ubuntu store, but many (most?) of them are web apps... which just seems like marketing bullsh*t - is there a difference to just opening the web browser? I don't expect there to be many apps as yet, it's a new OS. I'd prefer to find a few decent native apps, rather than loads of disappointing web links. Who needs an Amazon app anyway? don't they have a 'normal' website?
- Bluetooth - cant make it non-discoverable. cant change device name. Seems buggy, took me 10mins to get it to connect to my car. Still can't connect to Jolla. Randomly finds/doesn't find devices.
- Facebook & Twitter integration - It has it, apparently. don't know, don't care.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of things, good and bad. I wasn't aiming to write a review, just point out the things that stand out to me. If this post reads as negative, it's not intended to. I have high hopes for this thing in the future... though maybe I'd like this hardware running Sailfish
Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer if I can... there doesn't seem to be much info online yet.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Just figured out how to add apps to the 'quick start' bar - swipe from LHS - not sure what it's properly called.

So in case anyone else is puzzling over it... Apps that are running appear on the bar, you press and hold the icon and select 'pin to'...

Obvious once you know

Also found scopes are updated with a Jolla style pull down and release. Not sure how I missed that.

Last edited by epninety; 2015-07-09 at 00:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: