Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I've been using Advanced Task Killer (ATK) as my manager. You can bring it up from the drop-down status bar. Then long-hold an app and choose to switch to it. (Or kill it, or whatever else you want to do to it)
I want to get it from the home button directly, that's the most important part. I tried ATK (mostly on NITdroid) but it doesn't replace the task changing features.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
There have been alot of talk about the task manager actually just being more harmful to the devices battery life and speed.

After using different task managers for 3 weeks on my Galaxy S and reading about the stuff above from xda forums i got a say they might be on to something. I can at least say that the battery life or speed haven't gone down the ~4 weeks i have not used any task manager.

Got a say that Androids multitasking feels something like from 90's. Hopefully Harmattan/MeeGo shines there as Maemo 5 does.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I may be a Droid fan lately, but these limitations and gripes about multitasking under Android are undeniable. I hope there's a good solution coming with Gingerbread (3.0) since it'll be aimed squarely for tablet usage where, I'm sure, multitasking will be a much bigger issue.

So do you think i9000 will get Gingerbread?

I wouldn't want to be in a maemo - meego samsung situation...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norway
Most android apps won't use any battery in the background as they mostly just freeze state. Much like fast app switching in ios4. So Imo task managers are not necessary.

Originally Posted by Bec View Post

Officially or unofficially is the real niggling detail to your question.

Officially, no idea.

Unofficially, it doesn't seem like ANY handsets are having any problems getting the newest Android OS's. That's at least ONE point for the Android crowd--they at least *DO* manage to get the latest OS to always run on even the oldest hardware Android runs on at all.

Originally Posted by tenkom View Post
Most android apps won't use any battery in the background as they mostly just freeze state. Much like fast app switching in ios4. So Imo task managers are not necessary.
You lie!!!!

Last edited by danramos; 2010-08-13 at 20:05.

Depends on the specs. If I remember what I read (if it wasn't pure speculation) the minimum requirements for Gingerbread were..

- 1 Ghz CPU speed
- 512 MB of RAM
- some video requirement?

But as danramos mentioned, that may be targeted solely at tablets and not smartphones running Android. Though I think Google will apply it to everything in an effort to standardize some of the hardware specs out there (much easier to develop games for a standard set of hardware specs)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Well IMO task switching and closing useless tasks is one of the most important part in an OS. By the current design of android and iOS useless apps can leech battery as they please.

At leas iOS has a decent task manager if it's jailbroken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGLGoB88So
As for android it's all a pain. Closing an app takes ages with all the menus submenus and long presses.

Last edited by Bec; 2010-08-13 at 20:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Well IMO task switching and closing useless tasks is one of the most important part in an OS. By the current design of android and iOS useless apps can leech battery as they please.

At leas iOS has a decent task manager if it's jailbroken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGLGoB88So
As for android it's all a pain. Closing an app takes ages with all the menus submenus and long presses.
I agree. I found it alien when I first came to the platform and, even now after using it for several months, I still find it to be illogical and counter-intuitive to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I searched for iPhone's ProSwitcher and it looks that most task switchers for iPhone have been abandoned since the "new" multitasking in iOS4...

I just don't get what's wrong with these people...

Tags
android, multitasking