Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Thanks
Have you tryed running xkbd in your tablet? It works, although uses some screen real state.

hey there.

I'm trying to run this on maemo 5 and I'm running into some trouble I managed to install the necessary libraries (except for xmodmap) and I think I made nxagent work on the server (because usually it's not needed with other clients), however when I connect, I get an error "Server says: Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1:1011'"

Here's the full log:
Code:
Connecting to theuser@thedomain...
Server says:
Server says: NXAGENT - Version 3.4.0
Server says:
Server says: Copyright (C) 2001, 2010 NoMachine.
Server says: See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.
Server says:
Server says: Info: Agent running with pid '6558'.
Server says: Session: Starting session at 'Tue Oct 26 14:33:20 2010'.
Server says: Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1:1011''.
Server says: Session: Aborting session at 'Tue Oct 26 14:33:20 2010'.
Server says: Session: Session aborted at 'Tue Oct 26 14:33:20 2010'.
Any clues? Everything runs fine when using nxclient from a regular machine btw.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
hey there.

I'm trying to run this on maemo 5 and I'm running into some trouble I managed to install the necessary libraries (except for xmodmap) and I think I made nxagent work on the server (because usually it's not needed with other clients), however when I connect, I get an error "Server says: Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1:1011'"

Any clues? Everything runs fine when using nxclient from a regular machine btw.
I also had the same problem with a computer and it was solved by installing a more recent NX package (from my distro's repository).
Try the following command line in the server and tell me what happens (either it waits for a connection or it fails with the same error):
Code:
nxagent -display nx/nx,link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1:8 :8
and
Code:
DISPLAY=nx/nx,link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1:8
export DISPLAY
nxagent :8
Btw, I have uploaded the dependencies, including xmodmap, to the fremantle extras-devel repository (you can "apt-get install" them now) and I was about to ask for someone with a N900 to try, so thanks for reading my mind and stepping up

the packages seem to work, thanks. Will you make one for snx as well?

I ran those commands on the server but they fail with the same error. Which distro do you run and what versions are you using? I'm on archlinux using freenx 0.7.3-6, nxserver 3.4.0-6 and nx-common 3.4.0-4.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Last edited by shapeshifter; 2010-11-01 at 16:39.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
the packages seem to work, thanks. Will you make one for snx as well?
Yes, as soon as we can get it working
I ran those commands on the server but they fail with the same error. Which distro do you run and what versions are you using? I'm on archlinux using freenx 0.7.3-6, nxserver 3.4.0-6 and nx-common 3.4.0-4.
I'm on Opensuse 11.1, NX-3.4.0-21.1 (build date august) from opensuse build service.
Let's try this:
Code:
echo "link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1">snx-options
nxagent -display nx/nx,options=./snx-options:8 :8

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I'm having similar problems with Ubuntu 10.10 as the server. Running the above, I get the following:

Code:
user@ubuntu1010desktop:~$ echo "link=modem,accept=127.0.0.1">snx-options
user@ubuntu1010desktop:~$ nxagent -display nx/nx,options=./snx-options:8 :8
Warning: Option file doesn't contain a port specification.

NXAGENT - Version 3.4.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2010 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Agent running with pid '26609'.
Session: Starting session at 'Fri Nov 19 09:49:18 2010'.
Info: Proxy running in server mode with pid '26609'.
Info: Waiting for connection from '127.0.0.1' on port '4008'.
.. then, in some time:

Code:
Info: Aborting the procedure due to signal '1'.
Error: Aborting session with 'Unable to open display 'nx/nx,options=./snx-options:8''.
Session: Aborting session at 'Fri Nov 19 09:50:18 2010'.
Session: Session aborted at 'Fri Nov 19 09:50:18 2010'.
I can connect via a normal machine, as the poster above, but on the N900 it refuses to. I also get an error about nxproxy generated from the snx script? Please help

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Nice thing indeed, I really dig NX and I have missed it on the N900!
Why don't you push it to extras-devel so that we can use apt?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I sorted it - just didn't have nxproxy and its two dependent libraries installed.. everything works now! Thanks

EDIT: Okay, I spoke a bit soon - the "sym" button doesn't work and thus I'm unable to type pretty much any symbols on the remote xterm. I'm hoping there's an easy fix, though?

Last edited by Tigerite; 2010-11-19 at 14:47. Reason: Addendum

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Nice thing indeed, I really dig NX and I have missed it on the N900!
Why don't you push it to extras-devel so that we can use apt?
Because I need some N900 users to step forward and test it previously, to be sure it works and iron out any outstanding bug.

Originally Posted by Tigerite View Post
I sorted it - just didn't have nxproxy and its two dependent libraries installed.. everything works now! Thanks

EDIT: Okay, I spoke a bit soon - the "sym" button doesn't work and thus I'm unable to type pretty much any symbols on the remote xterm. I'm hoping there's an easy fix, though?
It should work. Do you have installed xmodmap in both your N900 and the server?

Tags
remote desktop