Thanks to information that I found at this site (as usual ) Mobipocket downloaded just fine No Problem. I registered my n800 as a new device at their site. But when I go to install any of the paid for books that I have downloaded to my sd card, I get the message
failed to install error 0x30060209. Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone else found a solution?

Has anyone actually had success downloading the drm protected books from mobipocket? I can download and read the free books from them, just not the drm ones. I went to their site forum and was told that mobipocket does not suppoort the n800 devices, even though I had mentioned that I was using garnet vm. So, is this indeed true, or has anybody here actually been able to download and read their paid for mobipocket books?

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
Has anyone actually had success downloading the drm protected books from mobipocket? I can download and read the free books from them, just not the drm ones. I went to their site forum and was told that mobipocket does not suppoort the n800 devices, even though I had mentioned that I was using garnet vm. So, is this indeed true, or has anybody here actually been able to download and read their paid for mobipocket books?
Well... FWIW, I use the method described here in this thread to read ALL my DRMd eReader/Mobipocket books. This does not involve using GVM at all. Instead the books are viewed using FBreader.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question, PinCushionQueen. Unfortunately, I don't grasp the Python script thing at all. I reread the thread, but am sure that my computer skills are too limited to perform the tasks necessary. Fortunately Ereader can work with Garnet vm. I don't understand why mobipocket doesn't get onboard and make their paid for books accessable. They must lose a lot of customers this way. Oddly, I thought I had read a thread where some people were successful using Mobipocket( for paid for books )on Garnet vm. Maybe just my wishful thinking!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Anybody had success reading DRMed MobiPocket books with Garnet (GVM) Palm simulation? Sometimes I just strip out the DRM and read it on FBReader, but not all books convert well.

Also, are there decent-looking fonts for Mobipocket Reader in the GVM? I've opened a non-DRM book in it and the font was legible but rather primitive compared to what FBReader offers. (There were only variations of small and large and bold or not. All had poor resolution.)

GeraldKo
Just read this thread maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > Alternatives > [Palm OS] Garnet VM Beta 4 entries #43 through #50. It explains how to put mobipocket books on your sd card and be able to access them from Mobipocket on the gvm. It works and you can even now read all of your mobipocket books, even the paid for ones! I can't speak to the fonts, they seem fine to me

The Following User Says Thank You to Nitesky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
As for the fonts, here are what pages look like from Mobipocket and from FBReader. Am I doing something wrong in GVM/Mobipocket or is this what it's supposed to look like? (I know, I'm a font primadonna!)

(I figure it's just that Palm Mobipocket is made for a coarser screen; but I thought it worth finding out if anyone has improved upon it.)

(I know there's Standard, Bold, Large, and Large Bold. And there's Mobitype and non-Mobitype for each of those. None look nearly as sharp and solid as some FBReader choices.)

Mobipocket

FBReader