Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
They may not have known the details but believe me, they have known that they were in dire straights for a long time.
It has been like that since from the beginning, I remember them saying it even last year that they have to make great effort to secure more and more funding from investors to keep things rolling as they are not yet profitable and on sustainable ground. What can they do, except to try to push forward with what they have and hope that it's enough to convince investors to pour in more money? This is nothing especially surprising, capital intensive startup without backing of big corporation is creating, as Jolla themselves have described it, an impossible story. However, I find it bit confusing why investors would pull the plug in the moment when first device from licensee is just about to enter the market.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What I'm start to think is that the money from the crowdfunding went to something else rather than the tablet development.

Btw. Cop. Are you happy with the thread title or do you want to change it?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Why not? I think the problem is that the investors poured in too little. Being more generous would have paid off better. Probably with someone else at the helm though, I give you that.
I really don't think any amount of money would have made a difference, with who was in charge. It just would have increased the scale of the failure. It's not like they didn't have opportunities ... Opera were on board initially, they had an MOU with HW. The partnership with STE was monumentally foolish, given that everyone knew there was going to be a schism between the two partners, and one or both parties would exit the SoC business. Announcing the big (completely non-existent) Sailfish Alliance and funding for it before there was anything in place. From the beginning they made some horrible decisions and eroded their credibility. Intially there was a lot of goodwill, both from the industry and community, but their decisions and how far behind the OS were put paid to most if not all of that. The tablet on an Intel platform was never going to lead them anywhere either, even if much of it was hugely subsidised by Intel.

It's surprising that Saarnio is still there ... either that he wants to be or is allowed to be. Making pathetic pleas on Twitter (which have rightfully not been well received) just incurs further damage to both the company and his reputation.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What I'm start to think is that the money from the crowdfunding went to something else rather than the tablet development.

Why not ask instead of speculating? I mean, there's a lot of things that have happened since the crowdsourcing effort. Scaling up the OS to a tablet, updating Sailfish, updating the SDK and tools, other bits (software, apps for instance) and those things take time and money...

I've never launched hardware, only software, and it takes a lot of manpower and hours to get done. Ignoring that because you keep parroting the word "tablet" ad infinitum is ignoring far too much.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Hmm. Things are really in such flux right now, I'm not entirely certain what a good thread title would be.

The discussion is ranging all over the place now, and it kind of has to, as the future of the tablet is kind of tied to the future of Jolla itself...

Actually, something simple like "The Future of Jolla's Tablet" would probably cover most of what we are talking about right now, I think. And probably serve to bring in all the contributors who wish to talk about that subject. (If you want to continue going with my own title preferences, anyway... )

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why not ask instead of speculating? I mean, there's a lot of things that have happened since the crowdsourcing effort. Scaling up the OS to a tablet, updating Sailfish, updating the SDK and tools, other bits (software, apps for instance) and those things take time and money...

I've never launched hardware, only software, and it takes a lot of manpower and hours to get done. Ignoring that because you keep parroting the word "tablet" ad infinitum is ignoring far too much.
Yep, like you reaching the 10.000 milstone. Congrats and admit you couldn't have done it without me.

Basically this the tablet threads so that's why I'm drumming out the word as often as possible.

What I don't understand is what jolla management prioritized over the tablet? And what they gout out of it...are the tablet parts even bought?

What I don't understand is what jolla management prioritized over the tablet? And what they gout out of it...are the tablet parts even bought?
Well, yeah, I'm guessing that they ran out of money (after the most recent round of funding dried up), and therefore they haven't (yet) bought the parts. That would perfectly explain the last few (unexplained) rounds of delays, as well as why Jolla was so reticent to say anything about them (unlike how they were providing fairly detailed blog entries earlier in the year).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
I suggested long ago they should sell T-shirts etc, easy money.

I wonder what happens with the Lastu case now? Do we get that bad boy as a little trophy of failure?
and do you think shipping and logistic is something that is done for free?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, yeah, I'm guessing that they ran out of money (after the most recent round of funding dried up), and therefore they haven't (yet) bought the parts. That would perfectly explain the last few (unexplained) rounds of delays, as well as why Jolla was so reticent to say anything about them (unlike how they were providing fairly detailed blog entries earlier in the year).
We funded the tablet with 480% one could think that is enough. But apperently not. Strange . Maybe jolla should have set a more realistic limit.

We funded the tablet with 480% one could think that is enough. But apperently not. Strange . Maybe jolla should have set a more realistic limit.
We funded an Indiegogo project at 480%. Yes, that wasn't enough to actually fund the tablet (other than perhaps the hardware components). The hardware and software design I am sure cost far, far more than the campaign brought in...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund