Just loaded up OS2007HE from flash after cloning to MMS for the first time and a voice comes up saying something like: Hello, I'm Linus Tornlas and I prounounce <clicks a bit here> linux as linux.

What does this message really say!?

Just found out: "Hello, this is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux as 'Linux'".

Which app installed that on the device!?

More digging: something to do with penguinbait

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
eheh I don't remember who made the cloning scripts (may be penguinbait) but whoever did added it, but it's not in the HE, so no Easter Egg there.

From what I remember it does it to tell you it's finished fscking or something.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
If you have installed my install-tools clone deb. It will fsck all available ext2 filesystems it can find when you boot to flash. It will play a wav when the fsck is finished. It will only play the one time when you boot up to flash. You can also see the status of the fsck in /tmp/fsck.txt.

You can stop the wav by removing it from /root/.linus/linus.wav

or editing /etc/init.d/local.sh

and removing the following line

/usr/bin/play-sound /root/.linus/linus.wav

Glad to see its woring on 770's also
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info, penguinbait.

Nice work

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by ksunday View Post
Thanks for the info, penguinbait.

Nice work
No problem, Happy Easter!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Penguinbait said:
You can stop the wav by removing it from /root/.linus/linus.wav
or editing /etc/init.d/local.sh
and removing the following line
/usr/bin/play-sound /root/.linus/linus.wav
Probably things have changed, but running today's install-tools-N810e.deb, version 1.0.0-5, there is indeed a /root/.linus/linus.wav, but there is no line with that filename in the file /etc/init.d/local.sh. Where is it now? I'm guessing it would be better to remove the command, to save play-sound from having to start up, or is it started anyway to run the Nokia boot sound?

At the risk of thread-hijacking
1. It seems like the Nokia boots slower with dual-boot, with quite a long time of high CPU activity after the desktop appears. Is it really longer, or am I just paying more attention?
2. Really all I wanted was a way of backing up the OS, which is now done. (Thank you Penguinbait!) Is it possible now to go back to the old single-boot?
3. If I ever need to restore the OS, how would I do that? Obviously I can boot off the memory card, but how would I copy that back to flash?

I expect this is all already in a thread somewhere, but I've had trouble finding documentation on OS cloning and dual boot, partly because there were so many different ways of doing it (thanks again to Penguinbait for making an easy way).

-Greg