I have a Nokia N810 and would like to load Mer on it.

I have been using the MerInstaller till now and it downloads the mer image file (130+ MB) during every installation. Now that I have downloaded the image to my desktop and have already copied it to the external memory card;

I would like to know if there is a way in which we can use the MerInstaller to take the image from a local file on my external memory card ?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I don't know if Merinstaller can do this but you could try putting a path to the file when it asks for the URL. Of course, you can do everything manually in xterminal (format the card and unpack rootfs).

I tried specifying the file path directly but did not work.
It seems the MerInstaller is internally using wget and I could not figure out an option for wget to get from a local path.

Now I just got a workaround, not perfect but it works..
I started a apache server on my desktop and from MerInstaller I now give the URL for the image on my desktop.

But even now there needs to be a copy happening from my desktop to N810..but it is still much faster than the download from internet.

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Of course, you can do everything manually in xterminal (format the card and unpack rootfs).
Or on a PC, but make sure you use the --numeric-owner tar option (see bug 4898).

you can make it like me - using some http server (localhost) for maemo. i'm using nginx and i'm satisfied. good luck!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
I trying same think but when loading mer, with bootmenu, I getting a error> "Invalid version of BootMenu used!" any way?

I untar again with --numeric-owner option...

------------- EDIT -------------

Worked, tar --numeric-owner -xvzf ..... and booting now... thanks all!

Last edited by Anunakin; 2009-09-18 at 17:44.

Tags
download, install, install from card, memory card, mer, mer v0.15, path, question